What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

35mm round to identify

F0031

I have this (inert) 35mm round to identify. Projectile is one piece, with no markings and 10mm wide band. Total length 387mm, case length 227mm case diameter at base 53mm. It came in a black cardboard container. Thanks.

Tony.

Attachments

• 35mm 181 BM OE a.JPG
    35mm 181 BM OE a.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 35mm 181 BM OE b.JPG
    35mm 181 BM OE b.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 35mm 181 BM OE c.JPG
    35mm 181 BM OE c.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 35mm 181 BM OE d.JPG
    35mm 181 BM OE d.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 60
That projectile looks to be a turned replica. However, whoever makes these projectiles for these rounds that the shops sell seems to do a good job, they look very realistic.

CNC produced.

Falcon is right on the money !
The projectile is a "CNC" machined replica sold by a company who sell at places like Beltring and who obviously have contacts with various Museums and the like in order to sell there wares.

Cases are obviously original and it appears that most are of "BMARCo" manufacture possibly emanating from the sale of the "Fauldingworth" site.
Also your case appears to have been fired from a "Proof" Barrel as the rim of the case has not been mangled by the extractor pawl !

Last edited:
Got that exact same thing at the Bovington Tank Museum. My tube has a sticker that reads:
Oerlikon 35MM Shell
Fired in Captured
Anti-Aircraft Guns From
Falklands War - 1982
Yes, several twin-35mm AA gun units were operated by the RAF Regiment for airfield defence for some time after the Falklands War. I don't know when they went out of service.

Hello all,
Mine is, I'm told, for the Swiss Oerlikon Twin GDF-002 A/A system.
Cheers,
navyman.

PS W in circle

PS with W either above or below within a circle was I believe made by-
Press and Shear Works company although I have no more info on that.

See pm.

Last edited:
First firings for public demonstration.

Two very old pictures of the weapon being readied and in the process of being fired at its first public debut at Larkhill Artillery school's Demonstration.

Apologise for very poor pictures-very old negatives that have not survived many years in the loft.

Attachments

• 35mm Oerlikon.jpg
    35mm Oerlikon.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 35mm Oerlikon twin.JPG
    35mm Oerlikon twin.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 50
Rick, PSW is Liechtenstein Press & Stanzwerk, Eschen, Liechtenstein. They made the cases on contract for Oerlikon Switzerland.

Hello F0031 his shot from the 35mm (projectile) is a copy lathe, and the sheath was shot and that shot embedded in the origial TP (Swiss practice) is painted all blue with white letters attached photograph.
Greetings to all

Attachments

• Sin-ttulo-1.jpg
    Sin-ttulo-1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 58
Bofors clip

Hi Rick, If in your quest you happen to come across a 4 round Bofors 40mm clip, please let me know...Dano

Yes it is Falcon.

Chris, is the gun in the photo at Larkhill a captured Argentine piece?

Yes Falcon it is indeed one of the captured guns from the Falklands conflict that they bought out of hiding fairly late in the display.

Ammunition was also the "issue" that the Argentines had for the guns at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Chris, do you know whether they still have those guns or have they been scrapped by now.

Falcon & Slick Rick

Thanks Chris, do you know whether they still have those guns or have they been scrapped by now.

Falcon in reply I would expect them to be outside a barracks somewhere by now as I am unsure whether or not they were preserved for other reasons.

Slick Rick, I have studied my original photo and it certainly appears that the rounds pictured are in a clip that looks a lot longer than it is made for just three rounds, actually looks like it was made to accept 5 or 6 rounds-but I have never seen one in the flesh.
See attached-very poor quality as rubbish film (dirt cheap-and don't I know it) and rubbish photographer.

Attachments

• 35mm clipa.jpg
    35mm clipa.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 38
From memory the usual Oerlikon 35mm clip held five rounds.

Those RAF Regiment guns might have been sold, although I have no definite information about that.

The combs are usually of 7 shots in the Bitubo of fixed location and on tape in the cheetah.
I have a comb of 4 shots for repeated borfors 40L/70 if you are interested we can make a change dano 1917
A greeting