What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

36m mk1 paint /markings help

Darrol

Premium Member
ive just got this one today .its all 100% genuine parts but the markings look dodgy . .the only mills ive seen with the red paint like this was on no 5s not 36s.whats youre opinion . .
regards Darrol.IMG20120321_003_edit.jpgIMG20120321_002_edit.jpgIMG20120321_001_edit.jpg

I think the WW1 36s may have had the red top, but all 36M (and 23M) were red crosses. The green band fits though. Shame, as it's not a bad paint job really.

I think you'll find that some other Commonwealth countries used that type of marking but I'm sure Tom or Dave could be more specific.Nice grenade , though.

Hi. Thats what i was thinking. . Looks like a bit of paintstripping is on the cards.like you said its a shame as the paint looks good.it looks as if its been on for a good while.cheers.Darrol

I think you'll find that some other Commonwealth countries used that type of marking but I'm sure Tom or Dave could be more specific.Nice grenade , though.

hi and thanks . im quite pleased with it as its all original parts. would be nice to think is an original paint job.

If i was you Darrol i would leave as is, i got a No36 M Mk1 from Norway with same paint job and im sure its original for some reason....Dave

HPIM7263.jpg

If i was you Darrol i would leave as is, i got a No36 M Mk1 from Norway with same paint job and im sure its original for some reason....Dave

View attachment 64273

I think you're right. There are so many inconsistencies with Mills grenades. Just think that if it was original paint and it wasn't listed anywhere why it was painted in the old scheme,and no one had any answers, and you stripped it all

.....then later found out a perfectly good reason for the none humidity paint scheme.....that would be a bumber.

I agree, that paint looks really good and authentic, and if you say it looks like it has been there for a long time, then you never know.

I've had 2 in my collection in this paint scheme that both looked original. I'm sure someone will come up with the answer but i wouldn't strip it.
Hangarman

the mills is quite safe from stripping and is now in its untouched condition on the mills shelf.didnt want to unless it was 100% wrong.
cheers guys.
Darrol.

Red tops like that are much more likely on a WW1 No5 rather than a No 36. I'd say it was a repaint. I have a No 5 that was painted in similar style by a BOCN member, It looks good but I don't think 36's were ever done like that. Normally a green band around the middle and three red X's on each side at the top, was how they were done. Nice grenade though.

John