What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37 mm Vickers-Terni L/40 Cannon Used in Italian M11/39 Tank

M8owner

I do not believe I have ever seen any information on the ammunition used by this weapon. Does anyone have any pictures or documents that they can share?

I do know the case is brass and measures 37x201R58 mm. Never found a case for my collection, I have seen only 1 for sale ever and missed it.

TM9-1985-6 has nice illustrations of the AP and HE rounds, not much other useful info though.

If this is the 37/40 I have 2 nice projectile types.
The steel nose fuze type and the pointed base fuze type with original paint.
Photos if needed tomorrow but I do not consider them as a scarce cartridge. I find a few of the cases.

I do not believe I have ever seen any information on the ammunition used by this weapon. Does anyone have any pictures or documents that they can share?

I have some technical drawings and photos, but am still trying to produce good copies to post - please be patient! Depotman

I have the document shown which has some drawings of 37/40mm. Pics attached

IMG_6059.jpgIMG_6058.jpg

What a wonderful document. I have never seen an Italian ordnance manual before. May I request that you also show us the pages for the 37/54 mm and 47/32 mm ammo? Scanning the whole manual and adding it to the downloads would be great also. Thank you.

A few more pics as requested. Sadly I could not find anything on the two calibres you mentioned. The pamphlet is dated 1932, would this be too early for the rounds you mentioned?

IMG_6060.jpgIMG_6061.jpgIMG_6062.jpgIMG_6063.jpgIMG_6064.jpg

Italian 37:40.jpgI expected to see photos of the 37/40 in other collections. Here are my 2 examples. Hard to find over here with projectiles.

What wonderful information. Thank you gentlemen. Was there any other use of this weapon besides the tank? I do not think the tank existed in 1932.

ron3350 - May I request that you show photos of the complete rounds, complete projectiles, fuses, cartridge cases and case head stamps?

Last edited:
Head stamp of a 1935 case.

Attachments

• D6127AC8-204A-4D3D-89DA-29F2C02282EE.jpg
    D6127AC8-204A-4D3D-89DA-29F2C02282EE.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 29
The 37/40 mm gun was used first on the Fiat 3000 tanks. Its use was adopted in 1930, and some number of these tanks were rearmed with this weapon. I believe these rounds are some of the most difficult to obtain tank ammunition from WWII. I can see why they ended up in Australia as several M11/39 tanks were captured and used by Australian forces in Libya.

Last edited: