What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm American Armament

imaokie2000

On the left is one of the projectiles I rebanded a few months ago that upset a couple. Please don't send me any hate mail. I haven't rebanded any since, yet.... :D

Anyway, at the time, I couldn't figure out what case the projectile actually belonged in. I'm fairly confident the puzzle is solved now. I picked up the round on the right recently. The projectile is identical to the one I rebanded. It uses the common M63 BD Fuze for the M63 projectile. The case is a 37x203R American Armament.

It's nice to solve a puzzle for once! Is there anyone with American Armament info out there?

Attachments

• 37mm AA (1).jpg
    37mm AA (1).jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 37mm AA (2).jpg
    37mm AA (2).jpg
    304 KB · Views: 156
Might as well add the rest of the collection, since I have them all out.

Attachments

• AA Collection.jpg
    AA Collection.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 196
I have one American Armament cartridge in my collection, and until seeing these pictures I thought I was someone special.

May I assume you have your fair share of non-American Armament 37mm stuff as well? I'm almost afraid to ask.

On the left is one of the projectiles I rebanded a few months ago that upset a couple. Please don't send me any hate mail. I haven't rebanded any since, yet.... :D

Anyway, at the time, I couldn't figure out what case the projectile actually belonged in. I'm fairly confident the puzzle is solved now. I picked up the round on the right recently. The projectile is identical to the one I rebanded. It uses the common M63 BD Fuze for the M63 projectile. The case is a 37x203R American Armament.

It's nice to solve a puzzle for once! Is there anyone with American Armament info out there?

Not upset, just urging you to consider the ramifications down the line. Many of our members here think short term, just of their collections. It is an interest for them for some years, then they pass things on and the history "changes". We've all seen it.

In regard to American Armament, they did a fair amount of mortar work as well, I've got a couple of their unique designs. Try Mr. Mortar, he bought a few pieces from you before. I think he holds some company info.

Might as well add the rest of the collection, since I have them all out.

That's a fantastic collection.

It would be great if you provide the case measurements of the different types (Length, rim diameter and diameter just above the rim) with any case identification letters/numbers on the headstamps.

Thanks for any help!

There is an article on these from the IAA , I can forward it to any one. Not sure if I can post it due to copy write. I will inquire.

I am happy to see the brass tipped types goes in what it is shown in. It measures out as a 1.7 Pr type and I had
thought it might have been a subcal. But seeing this, I don't have to worry about finding one now !

Last edited:
It is my understanding that American Armaments in Derry, PA produced a rival 37mm antitank gun to the American M3 cannon- only about 20 prototypes were made. At least one is still in existence (in excellent condition); it was last seen in a well known ordnance collector's collection in Tennessee. I was able to buy one of the American Ordnance 37mm HE rounds in an antique store in Derry - twenty years ago.

Last edited:
That's a fantastic collection.

It would be great if you provide the case measurements of the different types (Length, rim diameter and diameter just above the rim) with any case identification letters/numbers on the headstamps.

Thanks for any help!

It's real hard to post from home. I type and my pc misses half the letters. I will post HS pics tonight. I'll try to post the descriptions too.

Thanks
......JR

A fine piece of work there,rebanding those projos has made a presentable item out of what was a spoilt item/projo,well done,
Regards,
Don,

Ok Tony, Here you go. I took everything apart without getting too rough. This brass is brittle. I split one neck.

1.) 37x203R AT, Base Fuzed HE. 50.10mm above Rim - Brass Tip
2.) 37x203R AT, Point Fuzed HE-T. 50.11mm above Rim
3.) 37x178R AT, Point Fuzed HE-T???. 50.01mm above Rim
4.) 37x203R AT, TP. 49.94mm above Rim
5.) 37x178R AT, TP. 49.80mm above Rim
6.) 37x178R AT, AP-T. 49.81mm above Rim
7.) 37x178R AT, Base Fuzed HE. 49.75mm above Rim - Brass Tip
8.) 37x142R AT, Point Fuzed HE SD-T??. 40.46mm above Rim - Brass Tip
9.) 37x142R AT, Base Fuzed HE. 40.55mm above Rim
10.) 37x142R AT, Base Fuzed HE. 40.56mm above Rim
11.) 37x87R AT, Point Fuzed HE. 39.64mm above Rim
12.) 37x87R AT, AP-T. 39.57mm above Rim

AA Collection.jpg4.jpg1.jpg3.jpg2.jpg

Hey, that's great! Thanks imaokie, I didn't mean you to take them apart!

Did you happen to measure the rim diameters as well?

Hey, that's great! Thanks imaokie, I didn't mean you to take them apart!

Did you happen to measure the rim diameters as well?

I didn't, but will add now.

1.) 37x203R AT, Base Fuzed HE. 50.10mm above Rim, 54.25mm @ Rim - Brass Tip
2.) 37x203R AT, Point Fuzed HE-T. 50.11mm above Rim,54.24mm @ Rim
3.) 37x178R AT, Point Fuzed HE-T???. 50.01mm above Rim, 54.25mm @ Rim
4.) 37x203R AT, TP. 49.94mm above Rim, 54.23mm @ Rim
5.) 37x178R AT, TP. 49.80mm above Rim, 54.26mm @ Rim
6.) 37x178R AT, AP-T. 49.81mm above Rim, 54.25mm @ Rim
7.) 37x178R AT, Base Fuzed HE. 49.75mm above Rim, 54.25mm @ Rim - Brass Tip
8.) 37x142R AT, Point Fuzed HE SD-T??. 40.46mm above Rim, 44.75mm @ Rim - Brass Tip
9.) 37x142R AT, Base Fuzed HE. 40.55mm above Rim, 44.75mm @ Rim
10.) 37x142R AT, Base Fuzed HE. 40.56mm above Rim, 44.75mm @ Rim
11.) 37x87R AT, Point Fuzed HE. 39.64mm above Rim, 43.90mm @ Rim
12.) 37x87R AT, AP-T. 39.57mm above Rim, 43.90mm @ Rim

Thanks very much, I really appreciate it.

What does the "AT" mean? Surely the 37x87R wasn't marketed as an anti-tank round!

There was a post a while back that a fellow from Holland posted one of the 37x87 rounds with the solid shot in it.
The Dutch had some Armoured vehicles with that gun or a multiple of same in Indonesia I believe, so such
a round is quite possible though not perhaps the most effective.