What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm American Armament

I know that a couple of AAC's offerings were aircraft guns: the Model M and F (IIRC). The M was intended for flexible mounting and I'm pretty sure used the 87mm cartridge length. The F was a much more powerful beast for fixed mounting and probably used the 202mm case.

How exactly did you replace the driving bands on these? Were you able to simply "hot-drop" a new band into place and turn to size? Or, do you have the hydraulic equipment and dies needed to crimp and new band into place and then turn it down?

Thanks for all the great photos. About 15 years ago, I had a couple of strange projectiles in US 94mm and 135mm cases that I could not ID. They were solid with a unthreaded hole in the base. Clff Carlisle suggested they might be American Armament, I could not find anything about them and traded them off. Now you present this wonderful array of their offerings. Thanks again, The Otter

Thanks very much, I really appreciate it.

What does the "AT" mean? Surely the 37x87R wasn't marketed as an anti-tank round!

I mislabeled the aluminum nosed projectiles as AT. I think they are AA. I think the Brass Tipped are AT. I have limited reference
material on them, so I am very open to corrections or opinions. We may all be able to figure it out!

How exactly did you replace the driving bands on these? Were you able to simply "hot-drop" a new band into place and turn to size? Or, do you have the hydraulic equipment and dies needed to crimp and new band into place and then turn it down?

I only rebanded the 1st from the left. I cut a band, squeezed it and machined it.

The brass tipped are as close as I can figure it out without having one very much identical in size to the
1.7 Pr Subcaliber projectiles. This might mean something or perhaps nothing ?

The brass tipped are as close as I can figure it out without having one very much identical in size to the
1.7 Pr Subcaliber projectiles. This might mean something or perhaps nothing ?

Yes, real close in size. They are real light. I guess these projectiles depended on the explosive and not weight