What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm AP projectile ID request

charley777

37mm 2.jpg37mm 1.jpg37mm 3.jpg37mm 4 (with M80 above).jpg37mm 5 (with M80 on right).jpgGreetings...
This projectile has 15 stamped in the base and also possibly a "P" though it's hard to be sure.
Length....................122.4mm
Bourrelet.................36.8mm
Diameter above DB...36.7mm
Diameter below DB....36.4mm
Width of DB..............19.8mm
Base to DB................13.5mm
It has some strong resemblence to a US M80 projectile which i have shown either above or to the right in the last two photos.
Any help would be most welcome. Designation? Country? Case size? Meaning of marking(s)? Era? Weapon(s)(?
Thanks very much
Charley

It looks like the standard 37mm M74 AP-T projectile used in the 37mm tank and antitiank gun from WWII. The M80 was the smaller AP-T projectile that the U.S. used. There were also the M51 family of projectiles that had caps and windscreens.

Thanks Hazord....that makes sense.
Because the DB, its location and the crimping groove are all the same.
The book i have doesn't mention the M74! So i will look further...

M74

Here you are.

The M80 is the same AP projectile as the M51s, but without the cap and windscreen.I have heard prior to these being marked M80,
that M51 projectiles were used minus the cap, made without , or it was removed. I have never found documentation for this yet.

Attachments

• 37at.jpg
    37at.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 13