What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm Book - A Monster - 627 pages !

Gspragge

Premium Member
Finally have one -- a Big Bertha of a book ! If any one is wondering why the postage is rather high well It's Bloody thick ~ You certainly do get what you pay for. Lots of detail an all sorts of never before heard of 37mm cannon then the endless kinds of ammunition for them. If any one has something different than shown don't hesitate to email the information to Robert. Part of Volume 2 will be the pre WW1 kinds that were ,missed in Vol 1. As expected new things were turning up even as it was being printed ! But that was pretty much anticipated. It is still available.

" knew it would happen - I have just received a half dozen new items that need to be in the book.
I have had some trouble keeping up with the Email ( I am behind answering except for trying to find out shipping addresses.) I have been trying to send out vol I and work on Vol II, make up a website, and repairing my house. The U.S. Post office no longer has a book Or media rate for overseas. Could you let ALL the BOCN people know that the cheapest U.S postage to Europe is:

(Books $50 for 1, $40 ea two or more ( my note on last price quoted), contact before ordering might be best- Robert has been a bit swamped by this project of late)

$33.000 FOR ONE BOOK
$45.00 FOR 2 OR 3 BOOKS (Best price if you can gang orders)
$57.00 FOR 4 BOOKS
If you use paypal please add 4%.
I am going back over my emails and contacting everyone I can."

"Robert Mellichamp" <mellitexas@sbcglobal.net>

Attachments

• IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1284.jpg
    IMG_1284.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Someone might want to run this down and see if it is still a part of the US postal system. I haven't used it since the mid to late 1990's so it may be history along with most other services that were worthwhile. I am talking about "M" Bag overseas shipments. It is only used for books and regular printed matter. It would mean that all the books would need to be delivered to one individual, but the savings are significant. When I last did it you filled out a customs form and a PS Tag 158. You then wrapped and addressed each book separately and placed them in the typical large canvas mail bag that the post office provided. They attached the tag and off it went. The lucky recipient ended up with the contents and a free US mail bag. The beauty is that when I last did it, the cost was only 79 cents per pound for the shipment. If it still exists I am sure that price has gone up considerably, but it would no doubt still be a bargain. Total weight had to be at leat 11 pounds and not over 66 lbs. I shipped a lot of books and printed material to collectors overseas that way for next to nothing.

Someone might want to run this down and see if it is still a part of the US postal system. I haven't used it since the mid to late 1990's so it may be history along with most other services that were worthwhile. I am talking about "M" Bag overseas shipments.

http://www.usps.com/international/mbags.htm

All categories of printed matter can be enclosed in an Airmail M-bag.

Printed matter is defined as paper on which words, letters, characters, figures, images, or any combination thereof, not having the character of a bill or statement of account, or of actual or personal correspondence, have been reproduced by any process other than handwriting or typewriting.

Minimum weight - There is no longer a minimum-weight threshold for Airmail M-bag usage. However, customers who tender Airmail M-bags that weigh less than 11 pounds are still required to pay the applicable 11-pound postage rate.

Maximum weight - 66 pounds (including the tare weight of the sack).

Identification - PS Tag 158, the Airmail M-Bag Addressee Tag, must be completed and attached to the neck of the sack.

Allowable Contents - Certain categories of merchandise can be combined with printed matter in an M-bag provided that all of the criteria are met for allowable contents.

More info here: http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc2_022.htm

Seems worth looking in to for shipments like that.

Last edited:
I will forward this,

Several BOCN members are bringing over quantities of the book for others perhaps this is the method. I'll let Robert know and see what he says.

The 37mm bible

I thought I would let our UK members know that I will be buying one of these books for myself, with the order going in on Sunday evening. The book itself is $50 plus postage which will depend on the number of books sent over - $35 for one book $15 for three or more. If anyone else is interested in buying one of these then I will be happy to order for you and have the book sent to me. You can then either pick it up from me (near to J4 M25), I will post it on to you or you can collect from Stoneleigh in January.

I will need a firm commitment that you will pay for the book at a value of up to 50 and please PM me, not through the open forum. I will only charge the actual cost once known which will be dependant on shipping and rate of exchange conversion, paypal etc. There is now a limited supply of these books available and no plans to reprint.

Cheers