What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm "crabs"?

navyman

Hello all,
Yet again I'm looking for info regarding I/D marks on 37mm's?
I would like to know what the little headstamp marks, (which I can only call "crabs"), should be correctly be described as, also whether these only appear on German cases, and any info regarding the nationality of 37mm rounds in general, ie; where they have originated?
I've only pictured the headstamp of one Karlsruhe round with the "crabs" arrowed but have just noticed that both of the "crabbers" I have are stamped with the Crown over M indicating they were for naval use. Is this a coincidence or perhaps the Germans did have a sense of humour when designating ammo marks! (No offence intended to any of our German friends).
Grateful for any tips about 37mm's.
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• crab 1a.jpg
    crab 1a.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 42
  • crab 1b.jpg
    crab 1b.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 53
I have always viewed the "Flaming Bomb" stamps found as part of the headstamp, to be official ordnance acceptance markings...
As to their official designated name, I have no idea.

i could be wrong,but i seem to remember seeing somewhere that the flaming bomb was put on naval ammunition reissued to the army

Thank you both.
Flaming bomb sounds a lot better than crabs! The only flaming bomb I've seen is on a P17 bayonet which I have, but that has a circular bomb underneath it's crab.
By the way, good luck Allan with your EOD challenge. Looking forward to see what tasks they have set you.
best regards,
Guy.

All my shell cases made by Patronenfabrik Karlsruhe have these "crabs", while the exact same shell case of e.g. Polte Magdeburg does not have them. So I believe they go with the factory mark of Patronenfabrik Karlsruhe and have nothing to do with army or naval use.

Thank you Hoeksel,
That's something I'd not thought about, a manufacturers mark had not occured to me. It all seems to becoming more clear to me now.
Best regards,
navyman.