What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm hotchkiss case info needed

Darrol

Premium Member
hi everyone .I have a question regarding this case. . .I cant find any info on age or any pics of another with the same markings .any info would be great .thank you.
cheers .37mm.jpgDarrol

that is the head stamp for the Hotchkiss company, Pairs. France one of the earliest producers of "modern" cases ad projectiles from around the late 1870s. They sold to countries all over the world, so it is difficult to put a country of use label on one of them. They also made the guns which fired them, the most familiar being the 5 barrel evolving gun in various calibers up to 47mm. examples Found in37mm and up to 3" or larger.#
', and possibly larger. Used as anti torpedo defense on ships and flank defense in fortifications .Many a collection has started out with the37mm example.

I would guess- that it was in the early 1880s. They seldom marked the date on these cases The made in France doesn't appear in the later years. Looks in fine condition.

Thank you . Its not in too bad condition . .a few knocks at the neck but nothing major .on the hunt for a projectile now :D .
Cheers .Darrol

I know the ones you mean . I've seen a few AP ones in the past .im sure one will turn up one day.
Thanks .Darrol

that is the head stamp for the Hotchkiss company, Pairs. France one of the earliest producers of "modern" cases ad projectiles from around the late 1870s. They sold to countries all over the world, so it is difficult to put a country of use label on one of them. They also made the guns which fired them, the most familiar being the 5 barrel evolving gun in various calibers up to 47mm. examples Found in37mm and up to 3" or larger.#
', and possibly larger. Used as anti torpedo defense on ships and flank defense in fortifications .Many a collection has started out with the37mm example.

I love the typo for the revolving gun!

AFAIK the Hotchkiss revolving cannon were made in 37mm, 40mm, 47mm and 53mm calibre. There were at least two different 37mm rounds used, but the 37x94R is by far the most common.

I have trophies for bad typing plus trifocals! The final insult is when I spend hours trying and am finally finished, the computer loses the damn thing!

If the case was imported into the UK as a souvenir kind of thing it had to be marked "Made in" where ever it was made just as newly made imports
are marked, international agreement since 1895. The mark is likely post ww1, My example has an SFM primer or dummy of same.
The case might not be new but the imported item with likely a projectile was treated like any other import and had to be marked as to
country of origin. These only seem to show up in the UK so marked. SFM was likely the exporter.

Attachments

• IMG_303.jpg
    IMG_303.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 27
Thank you .
The MADE IN FRANCE did make me wonder when I came across it .
that's a nice primer on your example .
Cheers
.Darrol