What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm Hotchkiss IDs?

jonnyc

I got two similar 37mms today, with a slight difference on the base. Neither has any markings anywhere that I can see, but one looks as though something was cut away where a headstamp might have been. Can anyone identify the origin and any significance of these two rounds?
Thanks.

37002.jpg

37001.jpg

Can you pull the projectiles and check their bases for markings? From the photo, looks like M1916 rounds for the M1916 trench gun. The first case has been machined possibly the first step on the way to lampdom?

With a bore light and magnifier I could see the projo bases. The fuses are gone and I saw no markings on the bases.

If you tap the the projectiles above the copper band sharply with something wooden and rotate them in your hand they will loosen and there will be no damage. Add some thin oil and twist pull. These look like U.S. MK1 Steel Shell, rust might be hiding the markings which may be light.

Gave 'em some good whacks, soaked a bit of Ballistol in there, twisted a bit, but they won't come out more than a few MMs. Any other info possible with what I've given so far? Vintage? Manufacturer?

Use a pair of strap wrenches set them apposing eachother and twist and pull at the same time. Usually works fine except if there is a continous crimp, but even then I have had it work.WD 40 is the best lube I have used to free some mean projectiles.

They are ww1 and the maker should be on the projectile base. If they moved at all they will come out. It is rust that is the problem. Unfortunately these are never dated and I don't know where a list of which lots were made when.

Sticking Hotchkiss & other 37x95 rounds --

Try this, get a piece of 1 1/2" abs plastic pipe, stuff one end with about 2" of soft padding. Place the round into the other end. Strike the padded end on the floor hard and the projectile should come out by it's own weight. 2 Prs. have the worlds worst crimp, but if they fit this size of pipe (if not try something a tad bigger), I bet even those will come out.

Attachments

• IMG_3040.jpg
    IMG_3040.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 36
jonnyc

I have made make-shift inertia bullet pullers like that for cartridges up to 75mm. Since the bullet or projectile is usually very heavy it takes only a small amount of inertia to get them started. Most people think that pulling the big bullets (.50 and up) is hard, but it's actually easier.

For your two cartridges, squirt some penetrating oil into the primer hole and stand the cartridge base up for a couple of hours. Then use the inertia puller and they will probably come right out.

Ray

Upgraded model !

I added a cap to this. There was some raised print on it so I sanded that off, this way the floor or anything won't get marked by the edge of the pipe, I didn't glue it on.

Attachments

• IMG_3048.jpg
    IMG_3048.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 12