What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm Identification

Matthew Lawton

Hi All
Please help
37mm Round with approx 1cm wide 5mm deep hole in the side. It doesn't go all the way through. Is it to make the projectile whistle? (just a guess)
Photos of my collection are up (any feedback would be appreciated)
Best regards
Matthew
MJLmilitaria

IMG_1829.JPG

Can you post a closer side view of the projectile - and what is around it too ! Looks very interesting ~

Hi Matthew,

Very impressive collection - I'll have to hit the books again to ID most of it! (LOL)

Great selection of MGs as well. I haven't seen WW1 body armour in a long time - reminds me when I once had a WW1 Italian set - and the German M16 sniper plate you have for sale is also great to see - last time I saw one for sale in Sydney was back in the early 1970's and the antique dealer was asking from memory $150 bucks for the lot including the M16 helmet painted in camoflage and the chest protection.......I had only $10 in my pocket :cry:

What is the "T" object screwed into the top of one of the HE projectiles (next to the French 75mm)?

Is it a thread cleaner?

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Very true, but the Otter was feeling innocent that time. There is also the possibility that some one put the hole there, to make noise, as early 37mm were very quiet rounds. not like the screamers you see on TV. They probably had special sights to compensate for the off balance caused by the alteration. Looking for the Stuka effect of the sirens?

Hi Guys
More photos added.
Due to the size and how it is formed i really do not think it is a cigar cutter. It looks as though it was manufactured like that, i really dont think its a modification. I could be wrong but its a gut feeling
There are no markings that i could see.
Photos attached
Thanks

IMG_1860.jpgIMG_1861.jpgIMG_1862.jpgIMG_1863.jpgIMG_1864.jpgIMG_1865.jpgIMG_1866.jpg

Best regards
Matthew

Yes it was definitely made into a cigar trimmer, this was done to a great many of these
professionally. You are missing the plunger and internal circular cutter from
the looks of it. The projectiles are usually shortened a touch as the cutter needs a wider
hole that the original fuze did.
What are the other projectiles that we can almost see surrounding this ?

Great Thanks guys
The 2 bigger shells that you can see are 47mm Japanese Hotchkiss rounds
I have a few other shells and grenades that i will need some info on so will start a new thread later.
If anyone has any ww1 shell/ordnance that they would like to sell please let me know. They will go to a good home!!!