What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm Roth Trench Gun Round

Weasel

Premium Member
Hi All,
I belive this to be a WW1 37mm George Roth trench gun round, can anyone add any more info or pictures on the operation of this round. I have been told it would "bounce"
Best regards Weasel.

All empty and inert.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 169
This is an Austrian round, but I believe they were manufactured by Stock & Co. in Berlin. The projectile, in addition to the main HE charge contains a small black powder charge, that is ignited on impact. Also ignited is a pyrotechnic delay. The combustion of the black powder causes a violent separation of the nose cone and main body, which in theory throws the remainder of the projectile back up into the air. The pyrotechnic delay then causes the main charge to detonate giving one an 'air burst' and thus achieving maximum fragmentation effect.

Regards

TimG.

Last edited:
Found a diagram. I think I have a description of it as well. I'll have a look in the morning.

TimG

Attachments

• 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
TimG,

Thanks for posting that site, it has a huge amount of great information! I just wish it had more on the ammo.

John

I have 8 different projectiles in this case and have seen at least 1 other in another collection, The Italians copied this round in the bounching configeration, and I have seen 2 examples.There are slight differences between the Austrian and the Italian, all internal.I have not figured out how to post photos on this website, but if you send me your email address, I can send you some information. I have to search it out of the mound, but I have a copy of the Austrian manual around someplace. My email :greatotter@linkline.com

Thankyou so much for all the info, thanks Timg for the cutaway diagram just what i was looking for and thanks to everyone else who has added to this, i did not realize there were so many different ammo types for this weapon having only seen one before.
Best regards Weasel.

37mm Austrian

Hello
This is a picture of this gun
Beste Regards
Andr
5yuamt.jpg

As a matter of interest the "bouncing" technology keeps being revived and is currently available from a couple of manufacturers in 40mm LV grenade rounds. It's much, much cheaper than the modern fashion for electronically-timed airburst systems.

37mm Rebounding projectile

Somewhere in my stack of literature I read a warning to the gunners not to fire this round straight into a hard target. One can only imagine why. Think about it.......

Austrian 37mm

Courtesy HighlandOtter

Attachments

• HighlandOtterAustrian.jpg
    HighlandOtterAustrian.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 108
  • AustrianDrawings.jpg
    AustrianDrawings.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 88
  • AustrianRevGun.jpg
    AustrianRevGun.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 63