What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.38 snap caps?

navyman

Hello all,
This is the only .38 snap cap I've ever found. Somehow I've managed to not lose it after many years. Originally they would be issued/bought in sets of six. They can be used in most .38 revolvers, Webley Mk 4, S+W Victory model, Enfield Mk 1, etc. They also work in .357 calibres and .38 special.
The idea is to take the stress from the mainspring and the firing pin when used for 'dry firing' exercises. Similar devices are used in shotguns.
Has anyone got any to spare, it would be nice to have a complete set?
Picture 4 shows snap cap alongside 2 x (inert) .38/200 war issue rounds.
All best,
navyman.

Attachments

• 38 pistol snap cap 1.jpg
    38 pistol snap cap 1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 38 pistol snap cap 2.jpg
    38 pistol snap cap 2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 38 pistol snap cap 3.jpg
    38 pistol snap cap 3.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 38 pistol snap cap 4.jpg
    38 pistol snap cap 4.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 25
I think that the "Snap Cap" you have is actually a toy round for toy guns(replica's) made by Kokusai of Japan.

Hello Spud gun,
Thanks for your suggestion, but I cant see any reason for these to be made for toy guns, mainly because they are incapable of firing even a toy cap, and there would be no point in engineering something so complex for a toy gun which wouldn't even have a firing pin if it was a cap firer?
It would be interesting to find out if I'm right or wrong? I will soon post a message about blank firers, (Japanese), used for theatrical purposes.
All best,
navyman.

Snap caps

They certainly were not "issued" in sets of anything. The British military issued drill rounds for weapon training and "Inspector's" rounds for armourers to test weapon functioning.

I will post pictures of the issue drill rounds tomorrow.

Regards
TonyE

Snap caps

I had similar for both my 9MM Pistol and my 12 bore shotgun , that being just a hollow case with a adjustable spring ,the 9MM was a complete round , with a spring loaded cap, that was given to me by a friend who had it for many many years i will ask around our club members to see if anyone has any left, from those good old days when we could shoot pistols, without being called criminals or cowboys!
Ooops im on my soap box again

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much Tony,
This one has been baffling me for some time now. I also remember being told that if a weapon is not able to dry fire without damage then it's not worth bothering with. Have you any information about this attitude, right or wrong? I'm not including 'Saturday night specials here'!
All best,
Guy.

Hello Steve,
I'm writing a post at present regarding 'show biz' blank firers, hope to do it this evening, but have to do a couple of pictures first.
All best,
Guy.

Snap caps

Hi Guy
I know the 12 bore were made by Winchester in the states , but my 9MM were from memory unmarked, but were made of brass !

Hello Spud gun,
Thanks for your suggestion, but I cant see any reason for these to be made for toy guns, mainly because they are incapable of firing even a toy cap, and there would be no point in engineering something so complex for a toy gun which wouldn't even have a firing pin if it was a cap firer?
It would be interesting to find out if I'm right or wrong? I will soon post a message about blank firers, (Japanese), used for theatrical purposes.
All best,
navyman.

I took my information from the ECRA data disk. I have one of these as well and had assumed but was not 100% sure that it was a snap cap.

The round identified on the ECRA Data disk as a toy is the same as the one you and I have except it has a headstamp of 357 MAGNUM KOKUSAI. I think ours would be an earlier version

I have measured mine and it tally's with the one shown on the ECRA Disk

However ECRA Disk could be wrong.

Hello again,
Yes, mine has no headstamp at all. I'll be interested to see how this thread goes. Meanwhile I'll post the 'Stage, blank ammo' pic's'.
All best,
Guy.

Hello Steve,
The one I have is brass and still retains a good spring. I now have to go abroad to enter any full bore pistol matches. Yet it seems strange that criminals have easy access to these weapons. Looks as though the honest shooters have yet again to suffer to placate the media. OK thats my soapboard for this evening!
Cheers,
Guy.

Here is a Parker Hale .38 Snap Cap, as you can see the spring is alot stronger than the one in the Kokusai snap cap.

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

British Drill rounds

As promised yesterday, here are some pictures of British military .380 drill rounds for the Webley, Enfield, S & W etc.

The first picture is of the Mark I ball and drill round with the 200 grain lead bulet and the second the Mark II ball and drill round with the 178 grain jacketed bullet. There was no official Inspector's round approved for the .380 revolver, but rounds that meet the general appearance do exist and the right hand round in the picture is one such made by Kynoch.

Now for the point of the post. The picture of the headstamps shows that the Mark I drill round had a red fibre wad in the cap chamber to cushion the blow of the hammer when the pistol was snapped. This was dispensed with in the Mark II Drill round (right) as it was believed that the anvil was sufficient. Note that the anvil has been dented by the firing pin.

I have also posted pictures of the earlier .455 webley drill rounds. These also had the red fibre wad to cushion the hammer blow. (one of these is specifically marked for naval use). An alternative to the drill round was a spring clip lined with leather that fitted over the hammer of the pistol and cushioned the blow. These are rather hard to find today.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• 380 Mark I.jpg
    380 Mark I.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 38 mark II.jpg
    38 mark II.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 38 RL DI.jpg
    38 RL DI.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 38 RL D2.jpg
    38 RL D2.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 455 Drill.jpg
    455 Drill.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
.455 Drill

These are the headstamps of the .455 Drill rounds.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• 455 RL DIN.jpg
    455 RL DIN.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 455 RL DI.jpg
    455 RL DI.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 5
These snap caps were obtained about 20 years ago from a gun manufacturer in the US who was trying them out. They were made in Italy by Omniaplast and marked for the specific US retailer. The company is on the web and now markets a large range including .38. In the picture-Headstamps are blank on the .380 and 45 ACP. The .44 has 'made in italy patents pending 44m'. The 20g has 'omniaplast .20.'

Attachments

• Italian plastic pin spring base.jpg
    Italian plastic pin spring base.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 7
  • italian plastic spring.jpg
    italian plastic spring.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
While we're on the subject, can someone tell me something about this .380 drill/tool/armorers round? It says WEBLEY around the base. No headstamp. Got this in Israel a few years back.
OK, in my defense, these pics looked lots better in the camera screen!
380drill003.jpg

380drill002.jpg

380drill001.jpg