What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3IN Cartridge Case MK II M2

Here I go again, won an auction unexpectedly, these two. I do not have them in hand yet, but what would be the correct projectiles to fill the holes? I only have these two pictures. My guess says one is an Army 3", the other a Navy 3 ". I would like to take the time and find " correct" projectiles.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 39
The MkIIM2B1 steel case on the left is Army. It was used in the WWII mobile AAA guns and the M10 Tank Destroyer. The design dates back to WWI, but steel cases weren't made till WWII. Yours is dated 1944.

The standard armor piercing projectile was the M62 A.P.C. in both explosive loaded painted green with yellow lettering, and non explosive loaded painted black with white lettering. The substitute AP projectile was the M79 A.P.-T. The standard HE projectile was the M42 painted green with yellow lettering, or prior to 1942 were painted yellow with black lettering. The older HE projectile that preceded the M42 was the Mk. IX. with the same coloring and marking as the M42.

The rarest projectile used would be the H.V.A.P.-T T4 painted black with yellow or white lettering, which became the M93 black with white lettering. Yellow lettering isn't really appropriate.

Last edited: