What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.2 in stokes spigot help please

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Today we dug out this spigot from a 4in stokes trench mortar.This thing is double the size of the ones we normally find ,even the cartridge is bigger.The only stampings i can find remaining on the cartridge are ELEY V..Can anyone provide any further info on this ,experimental maybe ?? as it came from a site used to trial/develop these rounds
I have photographed it next to a 3inch stokes spigot which uses the same size spigot we normally find on the 4in for comparison..
thanks for looking allan

Attachments

• DSC00356.JPG
    DSC00356.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC00359.JPG
    DSC00359.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC00357.JPG
    DSC00357.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC00360.JPG
    DSC00360.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00355.JPG
    DSC00355.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
We see them at some of the French recovery sites fairly often. They say they are not that uncommon in their areas. I'll see if I can find a photo.

Here it is. The Stokes is 4-inch, though, not 4.2.

Attachments

• DSC_0174.jpg
    DSC_0174.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0175.jpg
    DSC_0175.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 48
hi
Yes it's the 4 in WW1 charging with red phosphorus
the base with initiating cartridge can be in steel or in brass
Wonderfull picture.......

first off thanks for letting me know these larger spigots are fairly common,its the first weve found this size so we didnt know,
apologies as well ... your correct it is 4in i dont know where i got 4.2 from,its been one of those days

managed to find a drawing now as well,Thanks everyone :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Attachments

• 1 4in stoke smoke.jpg
    1 4in stoke smoke.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
What pistol fuze was used in this particular stokes? Can anyone supply a cross sectional picture or the real thing.
Thanks

BD

theres a list of fuzes from the doc i got the picture from, listing them for this type of stokes as..
Time Combustion No 31
Time Combustion No 79
Time Combustion No 140
Percussion Spigot No 146
Pistol Bomb ML Trench Mortar

Hi
the picture show the "fuze" for 4 in TM Smoke
No name or N for it and just use for this type of mortar
It's fixing on the top internal cylindrical box
There is no spring, no security, no arming system
Just only a sort of striker on whitch is fixing the top cap
under the striker there is a primer on the initiating charge in central tube
4.2 in is use for WW2 GB and US Mortars

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 32
Sorry, a little error, there is a spring under the screwing cup Pistol (Not a fuze) around the striker and the internal end body
Name for the bomb is Bomb M.L. 4 inch Stokes Trench Mortar Light Mark 1

thank you they will be great,can now show rest of team what to look out for

first off thanks for letting me know these larger spigots are fairly common,its the first weve found this size so we didnt know,
apologies as well ... your correct it is 4in i dont know where i got 4.2 from,its been one of those days

managed to find a drawing now as well,Thanks everyone :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

"Fairly common" might be a bit of a stretch - I don't have one yet.....

It's really strange how we see some ordnance types only in the UK, then see variations of the same ordnance (like the 4-inch Stokes) in countries like Belgium that they don't find in the UK or France, then variations in France that are not found in Belgium or the UK. All in one UK piece. The distribution for new developments must have been very region specific.

4-inch Stokes Mortar calibre

From memory the four-inch Stokes moarat actually has a measured calibre of 107mm (4.2 inch) and the three-inch Stokes is close to 80.8mm.