What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.5" British Howitzer projectiles

Burney Davis

Premium Member
Does anyone have the manual on the 4.5" British Howitzer or sectioned projectile drawings with dimensions? I'm specifically looking for something on 4.5" gas shells, how many different types etc.

Thanks in advance.

D

To date we've identified 15 different designs for chemically filled British 4.5 inch projectiles, this includes the container type, double diaphragm, converted HE projectiles, base filled and side filled models and a base ejection design.

If you let me know which design you want dimensions of, i'll have a look.

Cheers

Pete

4.5in How

Thanks to you both so far. I knew there were a few Pete, but 15 ...! I've attached a picture of one that I'm trying to establish if it's gas or not. Projectile length is 13,25" in old money and the top part is 2.25" which has a long thread that screws into the body and is secured by a screw (missing from the lower hole). Completely inert.

Norman, the diagram you show is the double diapham shell I assume.

I have often seen these HOW projectiles over the years and I'm trying to establish the difference between the 'ordinary' HE shells and the gas shells, what subtle differences to look out for.

Cheers

D4.5in How.jpg

Can you post pictures showing the whole projectile, including the base and also measurements of the distance of the driving band from the base, the width of the driving band, the distance between the 2 holes and the height of the lower hole from the base please?

Thanks
Pete

Can you post pictures showing the whole projectile, including the base and also measurements of the distance of the driving band from the base, the width of the driving band, the distance between the 2 holes and the height of the lower hole from the base please?

Thanks
Pete

Pete, two pictures for you. The base is one piece with no markings. Bottom of base to driving band 18mm, width of driving band 32mm, distance between holes centre to centre 40mm and distance of base to centre of lower hole 250mm. Over to you!

D

4.5in How 1.jpg4.5in How 2.jpg

[...]Norman, the diagram you show is the double diapham shell I assume.

[...]QUOTE]

Looks like it but Pete is the expert. Diaphragms don't always maintain a seal as the X-Ray shows...

View attachment 53059

Yes it certainly is the double diaphragm design, i've attached a couple of X-Rays of other 4.5 inch chemical projectiles for comparision.
I need to check a couple of things about your shell, does it have any other holes further down on the side?

The first picture is the container design filled with thickened mustard and the second picture is an empty double diaphragm.

Thanks

Pete4.5shell.jpgA742.JPG

Pete, two pictures for you. The base is one piece with no markings. Bottom of base to driving band 18mm, width of driving band 32mm, distance between holes centre to centre 40mm and distance of base to centre of lower hole 250mm. Over to you!

D

Hi D :tinysmile_grin_t:, How's things? Your 4.5" looks same as mine, made in two parts with top part secured with a screw and a hole above. Mines marked as a MkVIII, I will see what the consensus is with yours as I would be interested in knowing if theyre gas shells or not.

Ben.

peteblight; said:
............... I need to check a couple of things about your shell, does it have any other holes further down on the side?

No filler holes in the side of the projectile Pete.

D

Last e-mail I had Pete was saying he'll be out for about a week, may be a few days before he gets computer access.

Thanks Jeff,

We got back late last night and I’ve just dragged myself into the office!

Having spent some time on this, I don't believe this to be a chemical projectile.
Identification of 4.5" projectiles can be very difficult, there were so many different models/Mks/design changes etc.
Unless you can find a stamped marking on the projectile stating Mk III, Mk V etc then it can be almost impossible.

The filling plugs for the chemically filled 4.5" are a lot lower than the one in your picture. The very early chemical designs from around 1915 - 1917 do have the 2 holes in the positions as per your projectile, but these were high explosive projectiles converted for chemical use and the length of your projectile is substantially different from the Mks that were converted for chemical use.
Additionally, the 100 series fuze would be indicative of conventionally filled projectiles and not chemical (No 44, No 106), although in this case it isn't definitive because this item obviously hasn’t just been recovered.

So after all that, I believe your projectile is an early model HE projectile.

Hope this makes sense.

Pete

Hi
Here a 4.5 in How Mk IV Chemical filled witn SK
See the stamped base of my shellchem4.5 bis.jpg

Attachments

• chem4.5.jpg
    chem4.5.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 75
I am trying to get a positive identification and technical information on a 4.5 Inch Projectile. The projectile has been repainted so the colour coding may not be correct. I have indicated the markings on the base of the projectile. The HOW D VII, the D is a much smaller letter than the HOW. The GP HP are stamped on top of each other. The stamped markings are in slightly different text styles and vary in size. The hole goes through into the projectile and was likely drilled out at some point, possibly as an inerting hole. The brown colour on the base appears to be original.

4.5 Inch Base.jpg4.5 Inch Projectile.JPG

Hello Ammocat,

Nice projectile. Can't tell you who the manufacturer is, but i do have these couple of corrections.

Firstly: the small 'D' is actually the top of an 'R' for HOWITZER.
Secondly: the numbers on the right are likely to be the date of manufacture: 21.?.17

All the best,

Ben.

Attachments

• 4.5 Inch Base.jpg
    4.5 Inch Base.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 26