What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4,5" gun case

vickers

Hi, does anybody knows if there exist a ww2 dated 4,5" gun case in steel in stead of cupper? thanks

4.5in steel

I don't know for sure but I think it highly unlikely that British technology in metal drawing would include making steel cases that large. We still dont use steel and did not then have the shortage of copper that pushed the German industry toward utilising steel for cases. 2pr

4.5 steel

I took it we were discussing the 4.5in naval gun case which is nominally 27.5 ins long and 6.5ins dia at the base with quite a hefty neck. Bear in mind the British car industry could not press a car roof panel in one piece without it crinkleing at that time, then drawing big cases is pushing it for the technology of the time. However I am only going on memory of metallurgy lectures from years ago and we all know the pitfalls. If someone can come up with a steel one please do. 2pr