What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.5 in mk 2 howitzer 1917 shell case

paddy

Hi,

Sorry i have no knowledge but. I would be really interested to get help to find out more about a shell case someone gave me. Can anyone help please

Its a 4.5 in 1917 ( mk 2 i think)
It has a number of marks. including
T

R. and seperate L ( or R.L.)
P
CF
S113
7/17 AND 9/17

4.5 how (1) (Medium).JPG

It has a lot of dints are these to do with its miltary use or has someone hit it with something else later ? How do you know if it has been fired ?

All the best

Paddy

Paddy,
Whatever has happened to it during its lifetime, it certainly has suffered!
The primer "appears" to have been struck going by your photograph, but a view looking into the case would show more details of the primer...the "petals" would be blown outwards on a fired example and "closed" on an unfired one. This applies to the examples in my collection certainly.

Bockscar.

Paddy,
Whatever has happened to it during its lifetime, it certainly has suffered!
The primer "appears" to have been struck going by your photograph, but a view looking into the case would show more details of the primer...the "petals" would be blown outwards on a fired example and "closed" on an unfired one. This applies to the examples in my collection certainly.

Bockscar.

Thanks very much for your comments, does the attached show the right view ? P1040258 (Medium).JPG
looks neat rather than blown out ? but not sure.

Hope you had a good new years and christmas

all the best

paddy

Paddy,

Your case was made by Royal Laboratories, Woolwich.

The CF denotes the case has been loaded one full charge of smokeless powder.

TimG

Paddy,
Thanks for taking that image...I would say that the primer has been fired.
I shall take photos of the examples I have to let you see what I am basing my evidence on.

Happy New Year to you too!

Bockscar.

Paddy,

Here are some photos taken of a few primers in my collection...

The first one is a No1 primer attached to a 3.7 Mk 2 howitzer case... The petals either not been blown out so much or else carefully folded back slightly.

The second one shows a fired No 1 primer attached to a 1909 dated cut down trench art 18 Pounder case.

The third shows a German c/12 fired primer as well as a British No 1 fired primer with the petals folded back further than their original position.

The fourth picture shows a No 1 primer in a British 13 Pounder case. This primer is unfired. The blow out petals are in the flat closed position.
(difficult to see as the camera is pulling focus on the case mouth).

Bockscar

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 32
I have a 4.5 powder case, WWI, bring back that had contained cordite. Was this the common propellant in artillery?
Water Cart

Hello everybody,
As said by TimG, RL is Royal Laboratory Woolwich, but on 4.5 Inch MkII and 13Pdr9Cwt MkI, it seems to exist two shops at RL. One is RL with a small p underneath and the other is RL with a small c underneath.
The example shown by paddy is RL p, the lot is S113 ( letter S of the 113th lot). I show an example of RL c dated 1918 and the lot is D 16 at 9 o'clock.
Thanks by advance for opinion and comments.
Regards
Dandebur16D-10.jpg