What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.5 inch British naval gun

BigRon

Morning all,

At our museum we have recently acquired a 4.5in 1944 naval gun, it’s in need of some restoration and I was wondering if anyone may have a handbook?

The gun itself was on a Z class destroyer and when the destroyer was decommissioned the gun was removed and used for an anti-aircraft role.

Aaron

The Royal Navy had countless variations of 4.5" gun and they are all different. You'll need to ascertain the exact model from the stamping on the breech block, noting the asterisks, if any. Likewise on the mounting.

'Explosion' at Priddy's Hard, Gosport, might have documentation to hand.

Failing that, Winchester Library has/had the overflow from 'Explosion.' If you can tell me the exact model, I might be able to narrow it down for you.

Did this item come from a farm in Capel, Surrey?

TimG

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

I will get the info next time i see the gun, it has not been delivered to us.

No it’s not from Capel, it’s from another museum but until it’s delivered I can’t give any more information

I will give Explosion a go.

Thanks again

Aaron

The Royal Navy had countless variations of 4.5" gun and they are all different. You'll need to ascertain the exact model from the stamping on the breech block, noting the asterisks, if any. Likewise on the mounting.

'Explosion' at Priddy's Hard, Gosport, might have documentation to hand.

Failing that, Winchester Library has/had the overflow from 'Explosion.' If you can tell me the exact model, I might be able to narrow it down for you.

Did this item come from a farm in Capel, Surrey?

TimG
One of the other trustees had a picture!!

bd534a87-31f8-4d0d-a942-9b11a5ff4b28.jpeg

Hampshire Records Ofiice - Winchester Library (but do check to make sure they haven't been moved etc.)

Box 5 - Handbook for 4.7” Mk IX** QF gun on 4.7” C.P. Mk XXII mtg & 4.5” Mk IV on Mk V (1943)

MP83 - Set of drawings NOD 3111, QF 4.5” Mks 3-4 1947–1954

If you want details such as 'Gun Logs' etc., there a further references. However, these are more about the history of the weapon.

TimG

Hampshire Records Ofiice - Winchester Library (but do check to make sure they haven't been moved etc.)

Box 5 - Handbook for 4.7” Mk IX** QF gun on 4.7” C.P. Mk XXII mtg & 4.5” Mk IV on Mk V (1943)

If you want details such as 'Gun Logs' etc., there a further references. However, these are more about the history of the weapon.

TimG
Wow TimG

Thank you so much!!!!!

I will make a trip very soon

TimG
Looks like they may have moved on as they are not showing up on the records office search, IWM has the handbook so I will fire over an email