What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.5inch MkI & MkII cases

charley777

Greetings
I have recently aquired a Mk I 4.5in howitzer cartridge case and find the differences between it and the Mk II case quite interesting.
The Mk I (114x73R) is differently shaped to the Mk II (114x86R) both internally and in the way the rims are formed or shaped.
The photos show this.
The headstamp on the Mk II nearly missed entirely as can be seen in photo #7. It is anyway rather minimalistic compared to the MK I.
And the primer of the Mk I has had " YP C.P.L. " etched or engraved onto it. Presumably some private trench-art?????
3)  4.5in Mks I & II rims.jpg
4)  4.5in Mk I base.jpg5)  4.5in Mk I primer.jpg6)  4.5in Mk II base1.jpg7)  4.5in Mk II base2.jpg8)  4.5in Mk II primer.jpg1)  4.5in Mks I & II.jpg2)  4.5in Mks I & II internal.jpgOK........for some reason the photos have been attached in some random order...........

Thanks for sharing.
Any one know what the story is with the "star of david" mark on the mark1 primer is about?
Cheers

The primer has been lathe turned off inside one of the cases. I have seen this done before with a cut down 18 Pounder case.

Hi Wemme........i am hoping that someone will be able to comment on the six-pointed star........
Thanks Falcon..........i did wonder if it the Mk I case promer had been modified...why would that be done? Ashtray?

Hi guys,
I thought the lathed off primer was done to use them as ash trays at some point.
Regards
Bart

I have only ever seen this done on "trench art" items, so I don't think it was any sort of official modification.

I suspect that the 6-pointed star is just an inspector's mark (but have no evidence to prove it). Odd letters, numbers, and geometric shapes are frequently seen on large calibre cases.

Roger.