What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.7" Drill Round

Weasel

Premium Member
Hi All,
Having a bit of a clear out and unearthed this from the back of my shed. It was given to me many years ago by a fisherman who brought it up. It would appear to be made from a large chunk of Teak with a bronze base and nose. Can anyone give me any info on this round, British/US, also any pictures of what it should look like i pressume it would of had a dummy fuze at one time.
Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• Drill.jpg
    Drill.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 128
  • Drill02.jpg
    Drill02.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Drill03.jpg
    Drill03.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 108
4.7 in drill

Sorry haven't got any dwgs or pics of intack drill round but it represents shell in attachment. would be fitted with a real fuze that has been modified and stamped 'DRILL' to allow training on fuze setting. Nice item despite the ravages of water, are you going to restore it with new teak? The case is the 26in long SL type. for a good idea on the round and gun watch the film ' In which we serve' part of it shows the gun being loaded and fired.

Attachments

• 4.7in 001.jpg
    4.7in 001.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 80
Hi 2pounder,
Thanks for the image of the 4.7" round and info on the fuze, i cant make out the fuze number from the pic though. I would like to get one to put on it if i can.
Best Weasel.

4.7 Drill

Howdy Weasel,

The fuze in the pic is a No.206, it is also stencilled on the forward section of the proj.

Regards Ozzi.

4.7 fuze

Hi Weasel, glad to be of help but sorry no pics of a 206, (apologies for the rhyme), its like a 202 but with 45 sec time and no pics of that either.

4.7 in drill shell

Hi Weasel,

Below is a picture of a 206 drill fuze and a 207 for comparison. However I don't believe these were used on the drill projectile that you have. Your drill projectile is I think for the early version of the separate loaded gun which came into service in the late 1880's. Case type designation is 120 x 400R (in mm). In the bottom right hand corner of your picture of the base is the date it was made - 1894 and these were used on vessels and as coast defence guns.

Regarding the fuze that would have been used with it, my information indicates that it would have been a number 13 or 45 impact if the shell was HE and one or more of numbers 81 through 94 (and possibly others if shrapnel). Both of the first two would have required an adapter to fit the shell.

A nice and unusual piece despite the condition.

BD

Attachments

• 206 ~ 207 drill.JPG
    206 ~ 207 drill.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 32
4.7"

Greetings Weasel,

Could you please give us a heads up in the base markings, Looks to me to be 1941, not just 94?

The fuse hole also would need an adaptor for it to take the 1" GS fuze thread to suit No.45 fuze.

Thanks,

Ozzi.

4.7in

HI
It's the same like your shell

Attachments

• 4.7 2.JPG
    4.7 2.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 65
  • 4.7 1.JPG
    4.7 1.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 58
4.7 in drill

You guys must be right - as hard as I look I cannot see the first and last '1' of the 1941 on my screen but Doctors shell is definitely the same one so I stand corrected.

BD :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Thankyou so much to all who have helped with pictures and info this, Nice one for the pic doctor, you are corrct it is identical to mine inclueding the headstamp. I do have the band that goes around the top section of the wood as shown in your pic although it is cracked in a couple of places. Thanks to ozziammo for the fuze info very usefull.
I will post an update when i know weather to restore it or keep as a relic.
Best regards Weasel.

4.7"

Weasel,

A pic of No.206 fuze & cover, another pic shows height difference between No.199 & No. 206.

Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• IMG_3719.JPG
    IMG_3719.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3721.JPG
    IMG_3721.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 18
Thankyou ozziammo for the extra fuze pics, i will try and track one down.
Best Weasel.