What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.7 Inch Mk IX & XII

doppz92

Premium Member
I have this (for me) rather scarce casing, 4.7 inch Mk IX and it seems it's a pretty early one. It's not my field and I'd be very grateful is someone could read the markings on the head. It's unfired, and this shows how the wad was held in place. One last question: I have been collecting for quite a long time and this is the first one I find, so, how rare are they? Thanks.

IMG_6568 (1).jpgIMG_6565 (1).jpgIMG_6571 (1).jpgIMG_6569 (1).jpgIMG_6566 (1).jpgIMG_6572 (1).jpgIMG_6573 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6574 (1).jpg
    IMG_6574 (1).jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 19
Apparently the design of the 4.7" Mk. IX didn't start until about 1928 and didn't enter service until 1930. As your case was made in 1929 it must have been one of the first.

The case was made by RL - Royal Laboratories, Woolwich.

Subsequent to the manufacture of the case, the Mk. IX** (different breech ring) and the MK. XII gun were introduced. This case was suitable for both, thus the amended stamping.

At some time the case has passed through PHD - RNAD Priddy's Hard, Gosport - most likely for reloading.

The primer was made by Royal Laboratories in 12/32 and first filled by Woolwich (same location, different facilities) 12/32. Subsequently worked/repaired by Royal Laboratories 1/35 and reloaded by Woolwich 6/36.

The three holes around the primer are to facilitate the fitting of a primer cover.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_47-45_mk9.php

TimG

Last edited: