What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.7 inch Naval case

SG500

Premium Member
I picked this up yesterday, not my usual sort of thing but I don't recall having seen one in the time I've been collecting.
Its a naval 4.7 inch case mk 9 and 12 with 4 sets of cut outs at the top. Case length is 775mm and rim diameter 155mm
If anyone has a complete one or projectile I'd be interested in seeing photos/info.
Thanks.
Dave.

IMG_6450.jpgIMG_6451.jpgIMG_6452.jpgIMG_6453.jpgIMG_6454.jpgIMG_6455.jpgIMG_6456.jpg

I have a Mk IX case of 1934 that is 775mm long and has one set of cut outs but no crimp groove in it. Pretty certain it is unfired.

May I ask the purpose of the cut outs ? I have seen them before but never new what they are for.
SHAKY

The cut outs are to form tabs to fold over to retain the wad (I don't know the correct terminology) in the end of the case. The 4.7 was a separate loading round.
This case appears to have had another set of tabs made by additional drilling, indicating it has been reloaded at least once, as does the extra F.

I bought a 4.7 inch Mark 5 case (naval and coastal guns) about 2 weeks ago. It was 1918 dated and made by EOC. Not really my thing so I sold it to my mate Ron.

Attachments

• 4-7_INCH_AMMUNITION_PRIOR_1940.jpg
    4-7_INCH_AMMUNITION_PRIOR_1940.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 51