What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.7inch Mk 5 case question

charley777

Greetings......I have aquired a 1918 4.7in Mk 5 case.
Sadly it has had the top few mm removed, presumably to get rid of the closure plug tags.
My question:- what is the correct length? Mine is 658mm.
Thanks very much.

Perhaps someone could also help with some other dimensions missing or doubtful from my calibre list.
I have the following listed:-
QF 4.7in Mks 2,3,4 120x404R (rim 153mm)
QF 4.7in Mk 4 120x594R (rim ??) ...case length correct?
QF 4.7in Mk 5 120x663R (rim 154mm) ...case length correct?
QF 4.7in Mk 11 120x716R (rim 176mm)
QF 4.7in Mks 9,12 120x775R (rim 154mm
QF Armstrong L/45 120x888R (rim 177mm)

Quite a few British naval guns in that calibre. Please correct any mistakes...thanks

4.7in Mk5 (a.jpg4.7in Mk5 (b.jpg4.7in Mk5 (c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Hoeksel.
Thought there might be more input on this (these) questions !
4.7inch guns came in a large variety, it seems.

think there has already been lots on 4.7in lengths etc, have you done a good search.

Hi 2pounder.....OK thanks i have tried a search and have found some info on Mk12 cases. And from a headstamp illustrated the Mk11, Mk11*, Mk12 & Mk12* used the same case which is new information for me. So now i wonder where i got the dimensions for the Mk11 case as quoted above in post #1. It is there shown as shorter but quite a bit wider. Perhaps their is a case of that size but belonging to a different gun? All help greatly appreciated.

Oops, misread that headstamp....it is actually Mk9, Mk9*, Mk12Mk12*....120x775R
So the measurements for the Mk11, Mk11* are probably correct.............120x716R
Got them from Campbell's "Naval Weapons of WW2"
And the list in post #1 is wrong. I made a mistake with the 120x596R which of course is for the Mk8 not the Mk4.
The latter round was famous as the largest calibre fixed round used by the RN.

Last edited:
had a chance to look up some info. Mk VIII gun fixed round case 657mm long. there is also the 75mm long steel or brass adaptor case to allow the Mk IV gun to fire a 6lb 4oz cordite seperate loaded charge.

Thanks 2pounder,
OK that's interesting as my tables show 596mm for the MkVIII fixed round.
And the MkV with which i started this thread is 661mm (shortened to 658mm)
Thanks for the info about the adapter case for the MkIV which i'd never heard of. Any pictures available?
Was such a system (of adapter case and seperate charge) used very much?
Do you have a manual that describes the case sizes of 4.7in guns?
Cheers
Charley

Thanks 2pounder
I'll keep a look out for that manual.
If anyone has a PDF copy, please let me know. Thanks very much