What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40-mm bofors Headstamp MR/C

Doug

Hi

Can anyone tell me the name of the factory in Canada (or perhaps elsewhere) using the MR/C headstamp on a 40-mm Bofors M25 casing dated 1944?

Thanks

Doug

Probably wrong, Doug but I thought the M25 Designation was American and found on cases with the dotted neck crimp? Did Canada make cases for the US anyone? Cheers Tig.

Ah - the plot thickens. The full story is that the Cdn War Museum (where I volunteer) is being offered a 40-mm bofors casing with the markings (on email, no photo) "40-mm M25 lot 1217, manufactured in 1944, MR/C". The offerer says that it belonged to his mother who was a supervisor at Pedders in WW2 and "made lots of them".

We have asked for a photo but the firm Pedders is not familiar to me although it could have been a subcontractor manufacturing casings for the 40mm. Canada produced more than 12.5 million rounds of 40-mm ammunition during the war.

Thanks for the reply. Obviously more digging required on my part. The museum has lots of 40-mm casings, what makes this one unusual is the purported provenance to a minor Canadian (maybe???) producer.

doug

Ah - the plot thickens. The full story is that the Cdn War Museum (where I volunteer) is being offered a 40-mm bofors casing with the markings (on email, no photo) "40-mm M25 lot 1217, manufactured in 1944, MR/C". The offerer says that it belonged to his mother who was a supervisor at Pedders in WW2 and "made lots of them".

We have asked for a photo but the firm Pedders is not familiar to me although it could have been a subcontractor manufacturing casings for the 40mm. Canada produced more than 12.5 million rounds of 40-mm ammunition during the war.

Thanks for the reply. Obviously more digging required on my part. The museum has lots of 40-mm casings, what makes this one unusual is the purported provenance to a minor Canadian (maybe???) producer.

doug

I have a note that Pedlar People Co., Ltd, Oshawa made Cart, QF, 40mm, Case Empty Mk 2 but their initial or trade mark is given as PP/C.

No MR/C given but RM/C is Robert Mitchell Co Ltd, Ville St Laurent.

Last edited: