What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40 x 158R 9.5 in DCT

Tony Williams

I have a 2pdr No.1 case (40 x 158R) with the headstamp 2PRI & II GUNS & 9.5 IN. D.C.T. dated 1929. It has an annular crimping groove about 10 mm below the case mouth.

Since this was evidently intended for launching depth charges it can't have had a projectile, so I presume that it doubled up as a blank for the "2PRI & II GUNS", with the crimping groove intended to hold a case-mouth wad, or something. Is this correct and, if so, what were the "2PRI & II GUNS"?

P.S. There are the faint remains of some stencilling on the side of the case:
R.N. (long number, faded)
MK VII ? OIL

Last edited:
Cant answer your question but this may help. I have a 1915 copy of 2pdr and 1 1/2pdr handbook for the Vickers automatic mkII and mkI respectively, a quick look in it there is a reference to the mkII 2pdr having an automatic fuze setter. According to Hogg in his 1914-1918 book the mkI did not have a setter.