What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40 X 438 (2 pounder HV)

SG500

Premium Member
Here's a few of the more unusual 2 pounders.

From left to right:

40 X 158R (S gun round)
40 X 240R (Mk V aircraft gun round)
40 X 305R (2 pounder anti tank littlejohn)
40 X 438R (2 pounder HV)

If anyone has any more information on the 2 pounder HV I'd be interested in hearing from them especially the projectile type. The only information I can find on it is on Tony Williams web site - see link below.

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/37-40mm.htm

Dave.

Attachments

• 2 pounders.jpg
    2 pounders.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 240
Hi Dave,
Very nice..! Thanks for posting these pics, i have a very megre collection of 2pdr rounds always on the lookout for more. Great to see some more British rounds, I have never seen one of those HV cases before, I am sure a fellow forum member or two can help you out with some info on this one.
Best Weasel.

Just a memory jolt here - anyone had any ideas yet?
I've attached a photo of the headstamp (the primer in the photo is a brass plate not a real primer) and a 40mm apds projectile that may or may not be the correct one.
Dave.

Attachments

• Pipsqueak 1.jpg
    Pipsqueak 1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Pipsqueak 004.jpg
    Pipsqueak 004.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 123
Anyone had any further thoughts on this one? I've run out of ideas on where to look other than what's already on Tony Williams web site.
Dave.

2 lb. 'Pip'

Dave, Your case to dwg.D.D.(L) 19988 is titled: "Cartridge, Q.F. 2 Pr. H.V., A/T., Extra light case empty". This is the 'P' Squeak ctg. case. The projectile you need should be marked - D.D.(L) 66/ X / 35. Hope this helps, Regards, RonB. Will Will get the dwg. off soon - just got to find the correct pile of papers.

Thanks Ron that's great info. I wish I had a pile of papers with that sort of information included. Look forward to seeing the drawing.
Dave.

Dave, located the drawing and trying to scan it - keeps rejecting saying "abort" this could be due to the poor quality of copy! But leave it with me and you will get copy if l have to mail you a hard copy- promise. Regards, RonB.

Dwg. of 'P' Gun Round.

Dave, l took another route on the computer and got an image for you. Now let me try and get it sent on - wish me luck, RonB. It looks OK when magnified??

Attachments

• A.R.E.  info. 004.jpg
    A.R.E. info. 004.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation that the 2pdr HV and Pipsqueak were one and the same. I thought that they had to be, but had no proof.

Dave, l took another route on the computer and got an image for you. Now let me try and get it sent on - wish me luck, RonB. It looks OK when magnified??

Ron, thank you, that's great. The case was hard to find and the paperwork to go with it even harder!!
Dave.

Misc 47mm. round.

Dave, read Tony Williams article and found to be a great piece of work. l would like you and Tony to cast your eyes over the next drawing, which l will post within the hour and welcome comments, its entitled: "cartridge, Q.F. 3.5 Pr. Auto Gun". The calibre is 47mm., case design by Vickers - V.A., 29394 GL. The projectile is a CEAD design.

Misc. 47mm. ammn.

Herewith, the drawing l mentioned - this is the reason l wondered if two case designs existed for "P" gun. Regards, RonB.

Attachments

• A.R.E.  info. 005.jpg
    A.R.E. info. 005.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 74
Thanks Ron you are digging out the interesting ones now!!

I can only comment on the measurements as follows:

My "P" gun case is:
Length 325mm
Base diameter 59.7mm
Rim thickness 5mm

The one in your drawing (now the inches are converted)
Length of case 421mm
Base diameter 64.8mm
Rim thickness 5mm

Very different dimensions apart from the very thick rim.

Dave.

Dave, read Tony Williams article and found to be a great piece of work. l would like you and Tony to cast your eyes over the next drawing, which l will post within the hour and welcome comments, its entitled: "cartridge, Q.F. 3.5 Pr. Auto Gun". The calibre is 47mm., case design by Vickers - V.A., 29394 GL. The projectile is a CEAD design.
Any idears on this round or gun it was chambered for? Ron.

Any idears on this round or gun it was chambered for? Ron.
I doubt that the 3 Pr. has anything to do with the 'P' gun. For a start, the projectile shape is clearly different from the blunt-nosed AP used in the P gun, and the cartridge case being so much bigger indicates different performance requirements. I suspect that this round was intended for an AA gun. Campbell's 'Naval Weapons of World War 2' (an excellent source, btw) has a brief entry on a "3 Pr. (47mm) automatic gun", a Vickers project cancelled in 1946. Two prototypes of the gun were made (so there must surely be some ammo somewhere...), both were water-cooled with L/75 barrels, but the automatic mechanism "does not appear to have been fully developed". Chamber volume was 50 cubic inches, shell weight 3.5 lbs, muzzle velocity 3,350 fps from 1.352 lb NS propellant.

Do you think you could email me a high-res copy of the drawing for inclusion in the ECRA bulletin? I've never seen this round illustrated before, and it's sure to be of interest.

Just looking at this one again and noticed on the design drawing "Not for manufacture".
Why would they bother saying that, especially as they obviously changed their mind?
Dave.