What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40 X 79 Crayfords with original paint

SG500

Premium Member
Just a few photos of some nice Crayfords. The nose fuzed ones seem to be quite difficult to find.

Dave.

Attachments

• 30 June 09 015.jpg
    30 June 09 015.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 30 June 09 016.jpg
    30 June 09 016.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 75
Hi Dave,
Wow, they look stunning. I love original paint on the first one is that the base fuzed HE ?
The second nose fuzed round is a unusual beast is that a fabric fuze in that one. Thanks for posting,
Best regards Weasel.

Here is the other kind

Incendiary

(It's not mine)

Attachments

• P1000044.jpg
    P1000044.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 65
Here are some photos of mine. It is painted like the one in Hogg and Thurston's book.

The rotating band screws onto the base plug, and there is a threaded blind bore in the inside of the base plug for a fuze.

John

Attachments

• 1.59 Crayford RC.jpg
    1.59 Crayford RC.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 1.59 Crayford components RC.jpg
    1.59 Crayford components RC.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 54
rounds

Hi SG500, Those are 2 very interesting rounds, grateful that you shared, those two I would not even think of restoring as they are beautiful as is...Dano

Crayford

Hello
Other picture of this Crayford Incendiary.
Before,never see this nose fused !
Very good image !
amities
Andr
htw5qo.jpg

Thanks for all your photos & comments guys, this thread really has turned up some nice rounds. There seem to be a lot of Crayfords out there despite having limited use.

Dave.

Thanks for all your photos & comments guys, this thread really has turned up some nice rounds. There seem to be a lot of Crayfords out there despite having limited use.
Well, I expect that's because it was interesting enough to pick up and small enough to slip into a pocket and walk out of the gate with, whilst whistling innocently...

I have often been intrigued by those rounds which are common but shouldn't be (e.g. 13x92SR M1918 anti-tank) and ones which should be common but which aren't (USN 1.1" - milllions were made!).

Well, I expect that's because it was interesting enough to pick up and small enough to slip into a pocket and walk out of the gate with, whilst whistling innocently...

I have often been intrigued by those rounds which are common but shouldn't be (e.g. 13x92SR M1918 anti-tank) and ones which should be common but which aren't (USN 1.1" - milllions were made!).

Yes, it took me years to get a decent unfired 13 pounder, how many of those did they make!!?
Dave.

common and shouldn't be

Another thats always puzzled me as to why so many are around is the 47mm 2.5pr brass banded Japenese contract rounds. Was the contract cancelled and the stock scrapped off if so why not melted down?
2pr

There should be more 15x104 Besa rounds around than there are, they are very hard to find outside the "collectors" domain.

Apparently nearly all of the remaining 1.1" USN rounds were dumped at sea when the guns were taken out of service. However the same as with the Crayford should apply, the 1.1" is small enough to slip off a ship un-noticed easily. Apparently they are even hard to find in the USA, where you would have thought more sailors would have bought them home as souvenirs. I would like one if I could ever find one.