What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm casing ID please

Dean_1

Hi everyone, came across this site on google whilst looking for some info on 2 shell casings I have, I'm curious to know more about them if anybody can help me, thanks. If I recall correctly these came from either Zimbabwe or South Africa, although I'm not sure if that is their original origin. Here is a pic of the bottom of one of the casings...

P1010416.jpg

40/60 or 40/70 Bofors

Difficult to be certain but the likelyhood is that they are 40mm Bofors cases for the 40 Bofors gun.
A quick measurement of the case length will confirm which Bofors gun they belong to as there are two distinct types the 40/60 and the newer 40/70 guns, the best way to identify them other than by length is that the shorter 40/60 case will have an undercut just above the rim on the case body whereas the 40/70 does not.
see pictures attached.
Nice item!

Attachments

• 40mm  Bofors L60.JPG
    40mm Bofors L60.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 40-70 Bofors case.JPG
    40-70 Bofors case.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 40-60 u-cut.JPG
    40-60 u-cut.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 17
  • NO u-cut 40-70.JPG
    NO u-cut 40-70.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Great info, thank you Chris.

Here are two more pics. So would this confirm it as a 40/60 shell from a 40mm Bofors gun?

And does the 12/69 mean they were made in December 1969? Any other info available from the markings?

P1010419.jpg

P1010421.jpg

Thanks for the help so far.

11-1969

Looking at your case headstamp I think it more likely that it was made in November 1969 and the twelve is possibly Batch 12 of the case production run.
The primer was made 12/69 but further than that I cannot be sure what the other markings mean other than one of two will be the date of filling and stamps for who did the filling, and as South African ordnance is fairly rare it will be difficult to find out more (IMHO).
Thank you for showing us the case-nice item!