What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40MM Cutaways, worth?

grog18b

Howdy Gents, I have several 40MM US and foreign low and high velocity grenades (all inert) and was wondering what the approximate value on them be if I made some of them into cutaways? Are cutaways more valuable to collectors, or less than an inert complete round? I've seen a few go for quite a bit of money. I do replicas of 40MM, mostly low velocity, and have done some props for movies such as the Terminator series, and also some for historical displays and museums. I am able to replicate fuzes, casings, and projectiles, and producing a cutaway should not be a problem, even using mostly original parts. I guess my main question is, what would collectors value these at if professionally done, with mostly original internal parts, mounted on either a presentation wooden base, or in a display box with glass cover?

Thanks guys, GROG

I have been collecting inert ordnance for almost a decade, and the incontrovertible lesson I have learned in terms of value is:

It is subjective, based on the individual and often determined by an irrationally high, final bid on Ebay.

On some days I have paid nauseating, high prices for a specimen and on the next day I will succumb to the old "I don't want to carry it out of here, so how much will you give me."

Ergo; pennies on the dollar.

Read the next sentence very carefully.

I dislike placing a value on an item, because every time I value something; doing so gradually prices me further and further out of the hobby.

However, I will do my best to answer your question as both a collector, restorer and fabricator. Depending on my enthusiasm, level of fatigue or blood sugar; it goes something like this:

"One dollar a millimeter" =Mint condition, including stenciling.

"50 cents a millimeter" =Aforementioned over 75mm.

"25 cents a millimeter" =Poor condition over 75mm.

''5-20 bucks'' =Poor condition under 75mm.

Bomb casings in any condition =Spare no expense / crazy money. :tongue:

I make around $15.00 an hour at work, so I often base my fabrication rates around that.

So....a now poor condition 40mm whatever that took 10 hours to restore and/or cutaway would cost around $170.00.

However, out of my tons and tons of inert ordnance, I don't own a single cutaway.

Cutaways, like German and Japanese ordnance (because of insane asking prices) are not worth turning my head for.

On a side note....

Real world, non-Ebay auctions are weird. They are a magical place where worthless scrap metal is first assigned a monetary ''value''. I don't understand these events yet due to my relatively small amount of experience. All I know is that at these events my value system is incompatible if not unnecessary.

In summary, when it comes to value, I have come to the conclusion that only inert ordnance collectors collect inert ordnance. No one else has a clue.

Last edited:
Yea. What he said. Exactly. Except for the bomb casing thing. Too heavy to mess with.

However, out of my tons and tons of inert ordnance, I don't own a single cutaway.

Cutaways, like German and Japanese ordnance (because of insane asking prices) are not worth turning my head for.

Times have changed..... when I started -legal- collecting in 1983 the standard phrase on collectors meetings when offering a cutaway model was ; "a quarter is missing, so I am only willing to pay 3/4 of the price" at best, most people did not even want to have any cutaway models in their collection.
In facto, I think I was one of the first ones in the Netherlands that was interested in a cutaway models collection only.

Last edited:
No such thing as too heavy, but they are still just scrap metal with no intrinsic value. Pretty, pretty scrap metal.

Thank you all for your responses. I am also capable of making cutaways of fuzes, and mines, as well as initiators (switches for you Brits :) ) I appreciate the time you took in responding. GROG