What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm L/60 Bofors 1961-dated Cartridge.

roadrunner404

Hello All,
Could anybody confirm the manufacturer of this 1961 dated 40mm L/60 Bofors case for me at all please? I know that it's British (or Commonwealth) but have never seen this maker's code before. Out of interest's sake, the naval 'N' appears to have been barred out too. This is the lastest date I have seen for a Mk.4 case but I guess there must be later date-stamped ones around?
The red lacquer on the primer is interesting, does the colour have any importance?
Many thanks for any assistance.
Regards,
Ian.

IMG_1043[1].JPG

N with an I through for Indian Navy, and Indian acceptance stamps (broad arrow and I combined) on both case and primer. The primer was made at Gun and Shell Factory, Cossipore and the case at Ordnance Factory Ambernath.

Hi there Snufkin, thank you for quick reply to the ident for this one, really appreciated! I picked it up with a couple of others (British made) at a local small show last year & got it because of the then-unknown markings. Another one to go on the shelf!
Have just realised that this post should have been in the 'Cartridges' folder; Oh well, I'll blame it on my lack of computer skills, apologies.
Rgds, Ian.