What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm Little Orphan Anti

EODGUY

This is another cartridge that I can find nothing on other than the basic facts. It was an attempt to develop a shoulder fired antiarmor weapon and ammunition. Obviously they were not going after main battle tanks. The projectile is a heavily modified 40mm grenade style. There is no rotating band or gas check seal. The tail fins look a little ridiculous on something of this size, but they needed some form of stabilization. The case is aluminum and is 4 inches long. The overall length is 6 1/2 inches and the base of the case is 1 7/8 inches in diameter. The only non-aluminum parts are the primer, shaped-charge liner and a thin band of plastic just under the ogive on the front of the projectile. I think it dates from the early 70's, but I am not sure. Anyone out there seen this before?

Attachments

• Little Orphan Anti.jpg
    Little Orphan Anti.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 82
I am not up on the rarity of this shell, but wanted to comment on the beauty of the section job. Most excellently done and just one beautiful round...Dano

Really nice round thanks for showing it. I go with the museum idea too, good idea Jolly Green!.
Dave/

Jeff,

I have no idea if this little thing was a part of any program that went very far. As far as I know it was an in-house program at Picatinny Arsenal and never went any place, but that was all verbal to me years ago. There were sure some nice specimans in the thread you linked to. Saw a couple of those at Quantico years ago. Wonder if they are still there! Bob