What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40MM MK3 MOD 0, 1955 date, need info.

I have four beautiful 40MM lacquered steel cases, dated 4 55. Head stamp,reads, "NTV 40MM MK 3 Mod 0, Lot 14, 4 55" on the side of the casing "UD-23, Mc A -55". I checked the forum search engine, found a board with all the projectiles with color code from WW2. . My question, was the WW2 color code still used in 1955? I have four L-60 projectiles, they were sold as HEI-P, should they get the hunter green and red tip color scheme? I need these projectiles to be authentically painted for the shows I attend. 1955 data is slim to none.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 41
The US Bofors L60 rounds are the only American items that I would like to own. (Other than the 75mm used with the Sherman etc), and would look amazing with the different British L60 items I have! These are like hens teeth in Britain. Perhaps some of you guys could post some pics to show all the pretty colours! I don't think this has been covered on Bocn. Cheers Tig.

The 1955 Navy color code should have still been the WWII color code.

Thank You. Next question, these lacquered steel casings have no Navy "anchor" stamps, were they for Army use? I know the Army fielded the M42 Duster ( ( twin 40MM mounted on a track) in the early 50's. How to tell the difference between a Naval round and an Army round?...a small square with an Eagle that has three stars above the Eagle is located on the head stamp between the date , 4 -eagle square-55. Sorry, my iPad does not have the resolution to picture the stamping. The marking appears to be an Army? Acceptance stamp as found on the Garand, see picture.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
The US Bofors L60 rounds are the only American items that I would like to own. (Other than the 75mm used with the Sherman etc), and would look amazing with the different British L60 items I have! These are like hens teeth in Britain. Perhaps some of you guys could post some pics to show all the pretty colours! I don't think this has been covered on Bocn. Cheers Tig.

I found this example doing a search on our forum. I assume they are British color codes? I have been unable to find anywhere the US Army 40mm color coding system, or is this picture the US color schemes? I suspect the answer can only be found from vintage US Tech manuals???...at this time my interest is identifying the 40mm casings I have so I can paint them correctly. I have an event to attend in a few weeks and need to paint the projos.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
The 40mm display board shown in the picture above is most likely a US Navy Bureau of Ordnance Mk2 Mod0 40mm Ammunition Display Board, circa WW2.

U.S. Navy 40mm color code chart as of June 1, 1945, add on supplement to U.S. Navy Ordnance Pamphlet No. 4; Ammunition, Instructions For The Naval Service, May 1943 :

Attachments

• 40mm Color Chart 1945 U.S. Navy.jpg
    40mm Color Chart 1945 U.S. Navy.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 40 mm U.S. Army, HE, 1944.jpg
    40 mm U.S. Army, HE, 1944.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 40mm U.S. Army, AP, 1944.jpg
    40mm U.S. Army, AP, 1944.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
The 40mm display board shown in the picture above is most likely a US Navy Bureau of Ordnance Mk2 Mod0 40mm Ammunition Display Board, circa WW2.

U.S. Navy 40mm color code chart as of June 1, 1945, add on supplement to U.S. Navy Ordnance Pamphlet No. 4; Ammunition, Instructions For The Naval Service, May 1943 :

Thank you very much for the info. It is making sense, my steel casings have a marking " UD-23", your ID plate states UD is armor piercing. Last question, would in your opinion, my casings be Army or Navy?...or did both branches at the time use the same coding?

Last edited:
Your casings are Navy and would use the color codes shown on the display board shown above. If a casing is marked Mk. and Mod number identification, they are Navy. If they have an M model number they are Army.

All U.S. navy casings have a Mk. and Mod number.

Your UD marked casings are for AP-T.

@Tigbrand, there are a number of threads here on BOCN that show the details of the 40mm fuze. WWII 40mm Bofors HE projectiles are like a piece of pipe, if empty, unfazed, and minus the tracer element, you can see right through them. The SD function is built into the screw-in tracer. If you look at the photo of the Navy training board shown above, there is a sectioned projectile directly below the sectioned round on top of the board.

Last edited:
Tig,

I have two of the training boards shown above. I'll take a close-up photo of the sectioned round with SD tracer. The M246 20mm HEIT-SD used in the F-16 is similar in function. When the tracer burns into the explosive cavity, it low-order detonates the projectile. I also have a number of experimental L-60 projo/fuze combinations to photograph.

that bureau of ordnance navy display board can be found for sale in the USA.i think central city surplus in santa maria had them(about $1400 USD!)came in its original shipping box,very nice.

Just to keep this thread floating for a few more weeks.....I have these 1955 dated HEI-P rounds in steel lacquered casings,immaculate shape. In the background, I have a clip of C-130 Spectre gunship L60 rounds that the crew gave me ( just the casings and clip- the L60 HEI projectiles I found and restored) when they saved our butts while I was doing some DOS work in Colombia back in 08-09. I also have a US Air Force issue 105mm casing they gave me, they are unusual as the projectile is crimped into the casing. I have been on the hunt to find a correct 105mm projectile for my AF casing, no idea what type 105 projectile it would take to be correct...would anyone have a reference?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
...anyone have access to US Air Force TM's? As I mentioned, I am on the hunt to find what type of 105mm projectile markings the USAF uses on their C130 gunship. It has special meaning to me as I mentioned, as I hand carried the empty cases home from my work done in Colombia....I would like to paint up a 105mm projectile and hand down to one of the kids.
My time there was spent as a Colombian Army advisor, during my employment, we eradicated 350,000 hectares of cocaine a month. They ( including my wife), had no idea what I was up to....ran into a lot of nonstandard arms, ....and the Hawk pictured was not full of coffee, it was kilos of Coke.....my 5 year non disclosure agreement expired three years ago......note the three barrel .50 cal titanium mini gun hanging off one of the Fuerzo's weapons pylons, special made by Dillion, not in the US DOD inventory....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: