What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm Russian Flare-Rocket

Bellifortis

New Years Eve (Sylvester) is nearing, which in many countries is the time to set off fireworks and fire off small rockets. That seems to be an occasion to show you this old russian pyrotechnic rocket that lifts a yellowish burning parachute flare to a height of about 300m. The pictured display is of an old style russian 40mm reconnaissance parachute flare rocket, which were in use up till about the 1980s .The rocket motor is of the HALES type (spin stbilization).Russian Hand-Flare-Rocket 40mm 009 - Kopie.jpgRussian Hand-Flare-Rocket 40mm 015 - Kopie.jpgCZ Launcher of bundle 15mm Pyro-inserts - Kopie.jpg 3 of these launchtubes were wrapped in thick oilpaper and bound with natural packing-string. The pictured instructional leaflet was tucked under the string. The same rocket, but with a red-burning flare was used as an emergency-signal-flare on russian ships. These type of hand-launched flares were also used and produced in other eastern-block countries like CZ. As these rockets are outdated for more than 20 years, all left overs are condemned for destruction. In CZ they found a new civilian use for the launcher, as a fireworks item. The parachute-rocket-flare container is removed from the tube and a bundle of 15mm pyrotechnic effect-tubes (whistles, salutes, silvertails) inserted instaed. When the old stocks are used up, this fireworks-launcher will disappear, because new construction in europe is too expensive for a civilian fireworks item.

Nice to see them complete with all the parts, I have a couple of empty 30mm and 40mm's tubes.

Web Russian Flares 001.jpgWeb Russian Flares 002.jpg

The 2 40mm's still have the electric cords attached.

I have never seen these with electric ignition. The 40mm all had the pictured friction-cap ignition and the old 30mm with short (100mm) metal-base-tube and short screw-cap also had friction ignition ,while there also existed a long (150mm) metal-base-tube with a longer screw cap that had a spring-actuated percussion cap ignition. The overall length of all 30mm signals was the same 225mm. I have never seen any literature about these small handsignals. All these are quite old (30 years) and newer models pictured in current catalogs are slightly different. The only percussion cap ignition model i have seen, was a 3-Red-Stars signal. I expect that other colours also existed.
Nice to see them complete with all the parts, I have a couple of empty 30mm and 40mm's tubes.

View attachment 115099View attachment 115100

The 2 40mm's still have the electric cords attached.