What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm "S Gun" Round - or what?

Depotman

Premium Member
I've had this round for some time but never had confirmation of what it is. I haven't heard of any 2pr AP A/Tk heads being used in Naval 2pr rounds, so is it for the 'Tankbuster' 40mm "S Gun" as used in the Hurricanes in the Western Desert. The head-stamp looks to be a 'standard' Naval 2pr. Ideas and comments much appreciated. Trevor

Attachments

• DSCN7161.jpg
    DSCN7161.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN7167.jpg
    DSCN7167.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 62
The 40mm S Gun case was the same as the 2Pr No1 case and both cases were used for the S Gun.
Excellent item BTW......especially the stencil markings.

What is the length of the projectile from the mouth of the case to the tip please?

Does the projectile have any marks stamped on it?

Thanks
PC

Thanks PC - the overall length is 270mm and I'd previously removed some paint to read some of the markings:
There is a broad arrow on the driving band and just above this on the shot body is:

O Ltd LOT 8 43

and I can just make out "VIII" above these.

Trevor

Thanks PC - the overall length is 270mm and I'd previously removed some paint to read some of the markings:
There is a broad arrow on the driving band and just above this on the shot body is:

O Ltd LOT 8 43

and I can just make out "VIII" above these.

Trevor

In previous threads as below there has been no mention of a Mk VIII.
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/raf-20mm-hispano-t31093.html

The crimping is similar to other 40mm S Gun shells but the length of the projectile would be shorter than the AP projectiles I have seen previously.

There are other members with much more expertise than me so hopefully someone will be able to give you a more definitive answer.

PC