What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm shell

Spaceinvader

Hello!
I have a 40mm Bofors shell, and the case is slightly deformed from firing, just enough that a projectile wouldn't fit. I have some projectiles coming for them, and is there any ways to bend the mouth of the casing back to a round shape? At least good enough to fit a projectile? Thanks!
-Rhys

Stick an inert projectile nose first into the mouth of the case and using a plastic hammer, carefully beat the mouth of the case using the projectile as a anvil. Usually works on small rounds.

You can start out using any curved surface that is smaller in radius than the case, and that will fit in the case mouth. Put the anvil/mandrel piece inside the case and put the part of the case that you want to open the radius on, on top of the mandrel. Start tapping the brass sharp radius curve, rotating the case clockwise and counterclockwise. Tap just hard enough to make small changes in the case. Once you have flattened out the sharpest radius, get a larger mandrel and continue, until you can use a projectile for the mandrel. If you use a projectile the size of the case, and a steel hammer that has a polished head, you can lightly tap around the case, so that it enlarges the case enough so the projectile slips in and out easily. (assuming you want it to do that)

In the above description, it helps if your mandrel is firmly anchored. I put mine in a vise if possible. It is similar to the horn on an anvil, which is also useable for the same function if you have an anvil. That's why the horn varies in diameter from the tip in, to make it useable for a wide array of radii.