What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40x46 Illumination Parachute Cartridge.

ron3350

I found this 40x46 Illum. Parachute flare body and ask what is the correct case to match it with? Thick white plastic case and not alloy.
Is it the greenish-gray alloy case with 40x46 headstamp at 12 O'clock? Note it is not the short 40x30 case.
I also have a 40x46 IR Illum. flare using the 40x46 headstamp so I hope this is also the correct NICO case.What is on the cap?

40x46 Illum.jpg

Heres a cutaway done for training. Not the quality done by some here. There is a white W on top of cap. Nico uses screw in "burst valve" for high low pressure. Projectile screws into case. There may be case variations.

20200226_142329.jpg

Factory cutaway smoke. You can see the burst valve better here. Reminds me that several here make cut a ways as good as or better than factory.

I have seen silver, gold and green cases.

Edit Gold are not bright gold.

20221205_214717.jpg

20221204_150433.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks copdoc. I matched it with a shiny alloy case. The green cases seem to be all post 2000?
Australia uses the Practice Impact Signature and the last one IR Illum. Plus USA white plastic cases with foam non-lethal shells.

You are welcome. I'm not sure when or where green cases were used.

Who made the US plastic cased baton rounds?

I have one in my collection, but it has an impregnated cartboard body.
It's of US manufacturing

Attachments

• 40x30 White star.JPG
    40x30 White star.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Yes pzgr40, this Illumination round is nice but it is 40x30R so deserves another thread. I also have different case colours in these and XM 583 with a straight flare body, M583 with the necked body and also one with an extra body step. My query here was about 40x46R Illum .
The white plastic case I mentioned also should have a new thread. Black plastic body and light green foam nose. M1006.Lot AMJ07C004002 on projectile. Thanks to everyone.Ron.