What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40x95R Ramirez de Arellano, Spanish derivative of the 37 mm Hotchkiss

MiguelMaxim

40 Arellano.jpg Maybe a Spanish derivative of the 37x94 R Hotchkiss, this was the 40x95 R Ramirez de Arellano, or simply known as Arellano, designed in the middle twenties and used in the Spanish Army infantry cannon during that time and the civil war 1936-1939. No headstamps in my collection, but maybe Hasag could say something more. The HE has a marching plug and the APHE has Base Fuze missing. Not very common and almost unknown outside Spain. Need some pics about the gun or the using manual?

Sorry I don't have any information, but this calibre is completely new to me, I have never heard of it. Thanks for posting.

Very interesting, thanks. Can you post the rim diameter?

Also, if you could send me hi-resolution photos, I could put an item in the ECRA Bulletin.

I got the rim diameter of the 40 Arellano from a friend, that`s 47.4mm and his round has the headstamp: 40M/M ARTILLERIA- F. TRUBIA-1935, it`s an AP BD fuze painted in black and yellow.

I present my little Spanish arellano 40mm.
Interestingly fuze as its very rare model and complete.
Also in Spain there is little information on these and are hard to find.
I hope you enjoy the pictures.

DSC05475 [800x600].JPGDSC05478 [800x600].JPGDSC05480 [800x600].JPGDSC05484 [800x600].JPG

the pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
The marking is sublime, but equal to Miguelmaxim.
40 M / M F. - TRUBIA. ARTILLERIA 1935

Greetings.
if you want I can make better pictures.

I did not find any data about your fuze
The fuze does not carry any mark

Last edited:
IMG_2361.jpgIMG_2362.jpgIMG_2365.jpgIMG_2367.jpgIMG_4149.JPGSome more 40x95.5R Arellano. The last pic compares the 40 Arellano with a 37x94R Hotchkiss both spanish production of Fabrica Artilleria de Trubia. The 40mm gun was still in the 1945 inventory of the Army.

What is this 40mm ?
APHE, shot, practice ?
I assume "Proyectil PERFORANTE: Peso 605 gramos y 116 mm de altura. No usa espoleta ni explosivo y es totalmente macizo"

IMG_4149 - Copie.JPG

Last edited:
I thinnk it is a practice round but not solid as the catalog said. It has a plug and may be filled with sand or iron powder.