What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

42mm Nordenfelt

Spain,,for sure. Probably others as most Nordenfelt rounds are un marked, Tlme use late 1890's, early 2000's. Many in US come from Spanish-American War of 1898.

Hello Minenaz16. Do you have illustration sheets for 38mm,40mm,and 47mm Nordenfelt rounds like the one you jus posted? I would really appreachate it if you could post them, Thanks, Gerald, highlandotter and 57mm also!!

Last edited:
Nordenfelt 42mm Common Shell

Here is another one I know of, a Common Shell as opposed to the pointed penetrating kind. If I recall the projectile is marked PA the case has the Maxim Nordenfelt monogram.
I forget how the fuze was marked.

Attachments

• 42mmNordenfelt.jpg
    42mmNordenfelt.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 93
Sorry but I don't have the case. The picture with the case shows the hand of my brother in law, my incredible brother in law, who found these complete shell and didn't buy for me in a flea market...I hate deeply all around brothers in law from then. My shell has no marks and the base has an iron plug. Some black paint on the shell. The 42mm Nordenfelt was common in the Spanish navy small ships of the XIX century, specially in Cuba, the Phillipines, Puerto Rico, Mediterranean sea and the spanish Pacific islands.

Here is the Navel 42mm gun. There is also a Mountain gun which has a lower MV so uses a different casing.

Attachments

• 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 30
  • 27b.jpg
    27b.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 34
Hi,
Italy too used this gun first in fortificationa and after as trench gun.
this is a gun stored in SMAL (=military factory light guns) of Terni
DSC00523rid.jpgDSC00525rid.jpgDSC00526.jpg

21 set 2011_4584rid.jpg21 set 2011_4585rid.jpg21 set 2011_4586rid.jpg21 set 2011_4587rid.jpg30 ago 2011_4148rid.jpg30 ago 2011_4149rid.jpg

comon shell and his fuze are marked with N, I think Nordenfeldt. In last pic the italian color code, CN means black powder loaded. A practce round with wood shell was also made.

DSC02389.jpg
fuze mod 1889 and transit plug

MB 16.jpgtempini.jpg

Production of cases seems only made by MB, Metallurgica Bresciana. Lorenz Brevettato Tempini it's an earlier marking onf MB.

best regards

When I get my computer back from shop, I will send you photos of my 7 Nordenfelts, 38,42,47 and 57mm. Thanks for you posts, Gerald, the Otter

Hi MINEN,
unfortunely not.
I think this shell was not adopted. Construction is not italian sttandard. It was find in Italy some years ago, my guess is this is an early forniture by Nordenfeldt as a sample to test guns. Also marking are not italian fashion.
best regards