What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.45 Turkish Martini? ID please

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
good morning, not sure if anyone can help with this round (the one on the left in the photos). It was 1 of several recently found but I'm struggling to identify it. I thought at first it was British military purely because it was found locally but now I'm not so sure. Its .45 calibre and has a 60mm case. I've shown it with drawn & foil .450/577 Martini, .45 Gardner & .45 Gatling. The shoulder point and case length is slightly different to all the others. The extractor rim is more rounded than the others. The lack of a headstamp isn't particularly helpful. The nearest I can come up with is the .45 Turkish Martini. Any thoughts?

many thanks, Dave

Attachments

• 100_8189.jpg
    100_8189.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_8190.jpg
    100_8190.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 35
I think you've quite probably got this one right Dave....I have a Turkish Martini and the overall case shape does look exactly like yours. Unfortunately the Turkish Martini is virtually identical to the Roumanian Martini, the most obvious difference between the two calibres being the rim thickness & profile. The Roumanian round should have a sharp upper edge to the rim profile while the Turkish round will have a rounded rim profile. Also the Roumanian round has a rim thickness of about 0.065" whilst the Turkish round has a very slightly thicker rim at about 0.072". Tiny little details but it all helps! Looking at your rim I'd describe the rim profile as being 'rounded'.
Are you able to post a pic of the head? I know you say its not headstamped but the general shape of the head and the primer size/shape/material etc can all provide clues.

Jim

hi Jim, many thanks for that and yes, the rim is rounded. The head is a bit stained so doesn't really help that much I suspect. I'm not familier with the Roumanian version but your confirmation about the Turkish version is a great help. Thanks again, dave

Attachments

• 100_8191.jpg
    100_8191.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 38
many thanks BDG, really detailed drawings that should enable me to confirm if it is the Turkish round, dave