What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

47x366

pzgr40

Premium Member
Can anybody help me to solve a mysterie
I bought this 47mm 3 pounder shellcase, and according to all BOCN postings it should be 376mm long. However, on measuring it I find out it is only 366mm long. Are there more types available which are shorter, or has it been cut short?

Attachments

• 47x366mm  3 pounder.jpg
    47x366mm 3 pounder.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Hi,376mm is correct for the Hotchkiss 3 pounder, just checked one of mine.Cheers T

hotchkiss type case has a parallel length of neck at 34mm apx. if yours is 10mm short then its cut if not it is a different case, what are the head stamp markings remaining as lots of countries made similar. are there any markings on the shell?

The markings on the shell are III RL below that JC, and here a picture of the base of the shellcase which is also RL made.
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 20220401_102803.jpg
    20220401_102803.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Well, just solved the problem by cutting a 10mm strip from the 1/4 shellcase left, annealed it, bend it round and soft soldered it on top of the shellcase. One can see the seam, but for a cutaway it's not very important and I am not willing to take the risk of ordering another cut down shellcase for 85 euro's (including VAT).
Now for the main question..... who can help me on a base fuze for this shell, and who can help me on a cutaway drawing, either is the drawing below giving the right details concerning powdercharge in the shellcase (supposedly cubics of pressed black powder), thick felt wad and base fuze for this shell, and a black powder filling in the projectile.
Who can help me out.

Thanks in advance, regards, DJH

Attachments

• made it 376 mm.jpg
    made it 376 mm.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 62
  • QF_3_pounder_cartridge_with_common_shell_Mark_II_diagram.jpg
    QF_3_pounder_cartridge_with_common_shell_Mark_II_diagram.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
So, I'd have to go for this one to make it correct

Attachments