What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5" 38 Cal. Mk5 & Mk 10

Slick

A couple of large cases that may be of interest to our nautically inclined brethren.

One thing I've noted in this accumulation, all the rounds that have(had) projectiles or were sitting upright on their bases have buggered up headstamps. From corrosion. I will be standing these on their case mouths for future display in hopes of retaining what is left of all that pertinent info. I suppose you big shell collectors already do that; if not, you should. Some of the stamped and inked data is illegible now. :-(

Mk 5 (brass)

IMG_0429 (1280x330).jpg IMG_0426 (1280x1263).jpg IMG_0427 (1280x960).jpg

Mk 10 (steel)

IMG_0434 (1280x346).jpg IMG_0431 (1280x1265).jpg IMG_0432 (1280x971).jpg

Slick you have been busy collecting! Thanks for all the photos.
They look like they've been stood on concrete - scratches and the concrete can react with the cases.
Dave.

Dave

Yea. Collecting. These large lots are lots of work. Outside temps are back to normal = miserably hot and humid, so I run out and document a few shells and then come back in the house to cool down. Even with a fan, it's very unconfortable. BUT, it's like an archeological dig. Finding all this stuff I've never seen before. Some pretty cool goodies in the mix.

Agree that concrete was/is an issue with these. Most likely put off in the corner of a basement or garage at some point. Certainly not an OrdHut or Bombatorium venue. Most of them are pretty dusty dirty, as well. This big stuff is different, let me tell ya.