What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.56 blanks

Robert B.

A handfull of the 7.62 + 5.56 blanks found in Devon, These all having different headstamps.

Could anyone fill me in on the difference between L18A3 (all years since 2002) and L1A3 (04 headstamps only)?

Robs

Attachments

• DSC_0156.JPG
    DSC_0156.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
5.56mm

I am afraid I cannot help you with the difference between the L1 and the L18 blanks.

The various different versions of the L1, A1, A2, A3 etc are probably just propellant from different sources. We buy in so much from abroad these days that there are inumerable new rounds.

The 7.62mm nomenclature is up to L46A1 now.

Regards
TonyE

A handfull of the 7.62 + 5.56 blanks found in Devon, These all having different headstamps.

Could anyone fill me in on the difference between L18A3 (all years since 2002) and L1A3 (04 headstamps only)?

Robs

Hi Robs,
Only thing I can add is that the L1A3 5.56mm blank was also manufactured in 2005 also

Cheers Tony

The only 7.62's found are as follows: RG 08 L43A1 (also a 1965 dated round but the headstamp is mostly illegible). This is the same location as the .303 listed elsewhere.

Regards,

Robs

7.62mm

L43A1 is sniper's ammunition, also used by the National Rifle Association and Army for target shooting. It has the heavier 155 grain bullet. (normal L2A2 ball has a 144 grn bullet)

Regads
TonyE

Hi TonyE,
I think the L43A1 that Rob refers to is the L43A1 blank(you should have one of these) Found the sniper info intresting as I have one of those green plastic 50rnd containers marked L2A2 sniper and always wondered why it was marked L2A2 & not L43A1?Also do you know what a L44A1 7.62mm ball (09) dated is?
Cheers Tony

Attachments

• P9070005.jpg
    P9070005.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 12
The only 7.62's found are as follows: RG 08 L43A1 (also a 1965 dated round but the headstamp is mostly illegible). This is the same location as the .303 listed elsewhere.

Regards,

Robs
Hi Rob,
The headstamp on your 65 dated blank would have been L10A2
Cheers Tony

L43a1

Sorry, Tony, I am even confusing myself now with the new "L" numbers!

You are of course right, the L43A1 is the blank and I was talking about the L42A1 (and A2 and A3) which are the sniper/match ammunition.

Retiring in shame,
TonyE

Crikey,don't do that,we'd all be lost without you mate,and you helped me out without knowing it,got a L42A1 in my collection & did'nt even know it was a sniper/match round until now so many thanks for that one,any ideas on the L44?
Cheers Tony

L44

No, sorry, I don't know. Am I right in thinking it is RG?

I know I mentioned to you before that RG developed a 7.62mm round with a small steel tip but that at the time there was no requirement and so they put it to one side.

Check it with a magnet, it may tell us something.

Cheers
TonyE

Hi TonyE,
allready done the magnet test,non magnetic and yes by RG,also got one put to one side for yourself
Cheers Tony

L42A1, etc

Hi all,
Yes, the 7.62 L42A1 ball round with the 155 grain bullet was developed by RG as target shooters were unhappy with the variable quality of the L2A2 "Greenspot" ammo that was being supplied. It was first developed in 1997, and the first issued rounds appeared at Bisley in 1998 with the headstamp COMP RG 98 (Nato mark) (COMP being short for Competition). We had it for the years 1999, 2000, and 2001, then in 2002 it appeared with the L42A1 number, until in 2006 it changed to L42A3. There was an A2 version, but this was never issued at Bisley, and I have never seen one [anyone have a spare...]. For those interested, I have been told that the A1 version had Muiden powder and Chorley caps; the A2 had Swiss powder and Chorley caps; and the A3 has Swiss powder and RUAG caps. I have never seen any 7.62 round with an L number higher than L42, but I did find a 20-rd box for the L44A1 ball round lying on the range. If anyone has spares of these rounds, I can offer them a good home!
R.

7.62mm

Hi Roger

We are up to L46A1 on the latest Brazilian CBC ball bought in. The latest blank is L43A1 and the latest RG ball is L44A1.

Regards
TonyE

L46a1

Hi Tony,
Thanks for that. Is the round actually headstamped L46A1, or is it like the L16A1 made by Raufoss, where the L number was on the 20-rd box, but not on the h/s, which was just the standard Raufoss one?
Roger.

Hi Roger

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes, the round is headstamped "CBC 07 L46A1 (+)".

Do you have a spare L16A1 and a photocopy of the label please?

Regards
TonyE