What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.56 don`t put `em down!!!

I hope someone has told the MOD about it, just think, i could slot just about anything with that.

Seems to be a groundswell of folks extolling the virtues of the L1A1 SLR. Did you ever use the old bird in a CQB/FIBA situation, or perhaps in a jungle enviroment. Have you attempted to control (ahem, after you doctored the sear) it in full auto ? If you have, perhaps you will recognize a few of the disadvantages of a rifle using 7.62x51mm ammunition of a similar length to and of a with a rate of fire not much greater than a Brown Bess.
From the first moment an intermediate cartridge was adopted (7.92x33) it was a compromise based on the premiss that most combat engagements are at sub 300m range. Most, if not all modern small arms follow this mantra because until the their recent widespread use in a desert enviroment, this was still true. All weapon systems are in a constant state of flux, warefare is dynamic, the enemy will evolve.
The holy grail of small arms is to be able to design a weapons system that is lightweight and controllable, with good range and acceptable stopping power. Current service weapon design in the present enviroment reflects that this dynamic has changed. And it will change again.

Just use the L2/C2 which is the heavy barrelled L1A1. Quite easy to shoot a three round burst using an 'educated trigger finger'. It was heavier to carry than a SteyrAUG/M16 series but you had plenty of penetration where it counted- downrange.

Just watched the video. Tasty recoil. You'd know you'd been in a long firefight with that one. I don't remember the SLR kicking that much, but I fired one a long time ago. Is that forward ejection system prone to jam?
John

Personally never encountered a jam or miss-feed or heard of them.
Obviously good discipline in the care of your weapon goes a long way.
Never realy had problems with the gas plug coking up either.
Always found this to be an easy lo maint weapon as with most UK standdard issue weapons. Keep it simple I think is a good rule here?

Well there we are, MOD problem solved. Just order about 50,000 of those for starter. No expensive development process. Off the shelf fun!
Even assuming that it is perfectly reliable on the target range, that is a verrrry different matter from remaining reliable for month after month in a brutal military environment. Most new gun designs require considerable reworking to correct their faults after that - yea, even the redoubtable AK-47 trial prototypes required many changes before the gun was accepted into service as the AK.

Hi
Having carried an SLR for twelve months in the friendly jungles of Vietnam, I have something to say about this rifle. First thing though about the weight of the ammunition. Before the Battle of Long Tan, patrol load out was 60 rounds/three mags, post Long Tan the load went up to 100 rounds or as much as you could carry, my personal load out was 220 rounds, yes it was a bit heavy, but when I needed them I had em. Official load out for the GPMG 60 was 800 rounds, NZ Maoris carried 1,000, tough little bastards. When I read the comment earlier about the weight being too much, it annoyed me for a tad, surely the lads aren't that soft. LOL
The SLR is a fantastic rifle in every sense of the word, all it needs is a bit of love and attention and it will never fail you. Personally I never had a misfire on any action that we were involved in, and we were in some really shitty country, not to mention the solid rain. I was part of the evaluation trial for the Steyr, in other words here is a rifle try it out. We all told them to keep the SLR, but who were we anyway, just grunts.
You can lighten the weight of the rifle with the composite materials used today, but if you want a rifle that will hit your enemy every time, and drop him down to the ground skinned and dead, then stay with the proven weapon, don't play with plastic toys.
A mate who was in the SAS, had an SLR with a cut down barrel, and he had somehow altered his stock to be shorter, used to swear by it, it sure did bark when he pulled the trigger.

Enough of my rant

Iain

Slr....

Panther1,

Sir, I love mine very much and to hell with all those Generals an all those political staff weeebies who stated "Our next rifle is to be made in the USofA." I have found mine to have never jamed, and fires perfeclty wide open (gas ring) everytime. Also the S.U.I.T. sight works ok with mine.

PM me when you get the time.

V40

Hi guys
Well certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons on this one!! :)
Found Panthers bit very interesting.
V40 - I`m sure you will get lots of quality shooting with your SLR.
Personally I liked knowing I had a weapon that I could use over distance & put the bad guy down with. I could rely on the weapon & my mates could rely on my marksmanship - isn`t that why we had to go to the ranges once every year (min) ???