What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.56x45mm Rounds - Unusual - Info Required

EagleEyes

Here are a few more 5.56x45mm rounds I’ve just added to my collection.
I was wondering if anybody could fill in the missing information especially for rounds 6 & 7: Manufacturer, Country, Projectile, Usage & L Code meaning?

Round 1
Headstamp: DAG 5.56MM
Case: Blue Plastic Aluminium Head
Projectile: PRACTICE
Manufacturer: Dynamit Nobel A-G, Troisdorf, Germany, previously Geco now part of RUAG

Round 2
Headstamp: RG 87 L1A1
Case: BLANK L1A1, Green Tip
Manufacturer: Radway Green, UK
Date: 1987

Round 3
Headstamp: RORG 88 (+)
Projectile: BALL L2A2
Date: 1988

Round 4
Headstamp: RG 01 (+) L1A2
Projectile ID: Red Tipped (Steel Core)
Projectile: T – TRACER L1A2
Date: 2001

Round 5
Headstamp: RG 99 (+) L1A2
Projectile ID: Red Tipped (Steel Core)
Projectile: T – TRACER L1A2
Date: 1999

Round 6
Headstamp: FNB 97 (+) 5.56
Projectile ID: Green Tip FMJ (No Steel Core - maybe Tungsten)
Projectile: BALL SS109
Manufacturer: Fabrique Nationale, Herstal, Belgium
Date: 1997

Round 7
Headstamp: RORG 88 (+)
Projectile ID: Grey Ceramic (Tungsten Polymer)
Projectile: XL6E2 British SPARTAN (Special Practice Ammunition for Realistic Training, Enfield) mid range training round
Date: 1988

Is there a good book or website that could give me this information?
If anybody is interested I do have a few spare rounds for trade, please contact me using PM.

Attachments

• 5.56x45mm Collectoin 01a.JPG
    5.56x45mm Collectoin 01a.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 5.56x45mm Collectoin 01b.jpg
    5.56x45mm Collectoin 01b.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
5.56mm

Round 6 is made by FN belgium and is the NATO standard SS109 ball round. This has a small steel penetrator in the nose of the bullet and is identified by the green tip.

Round 7 is a British SPARTAN mid range training round.There were a number of different types of these, and I think your one with the grey bullet is probably an XL6E2. If so it is to design DD/E/33512/GF/508 and the bullet should weigh 1.43 grams. Without having it to hand though, I cannot be sure. The bullet is made of a tungsten/polymer mix, and were not terribly successful. I do not think they were standardised as an issue round in the end.

The headstamp "RORG" (Royal Ordnance Radway Green) was adopted in 1988 but dropped in the mid nineties when they reverted to RG.

For the tracers you have already answered your own question, they are L1A2.

Peter Labbet's book on the development of British 5.56 x 45mm ammo is the best source available, but is out of date now with the large amount of contract ammo being used by the UK these days. Also I think it is probably not available any more.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Tony,

we have cases of Radway Green ammo here in the states. Still expensive though. The one made by the Belgium was one of the original buys for a 62 grain round for the USA, their way of developing it was truely magnificent, not to mention its poor stopping power and no real ability to compare with the 55 grain round. I believe it was not neccesary for the 62 grain to come about.

Round 1

Sorry, I did not notice you wanted the manufacturer of round No.1 when I replied earlier. I would have given you the DAG details.

One point though, it is NOT a blank. It is a short range practice round and should be treated as live ammunition (It is also Section1). The saxe blue colour is NATO standard for practice munitions.

Regards
TonyE

Hi TonyE,
Thanks for the info.
Round 1, What is the difference between this PRACTICE round and a BLANK round? I usually find both the plastic and the brass type rounds sold as BLANKS and not requiring any FAC...
Round 6, Ive tested this projectile with a magnet and it does not contain a steel core, is this still a SS109?
Round 7, This SPARTON mid range training round what would it be used for as I wouldnt want to be hit by one and any range? I didnt detect any ferrous material using my magnet in the bullet and is feels like ceramic very stone like.
I have several rounds dated from 1984 to 1994 with the RORG headstamp then after 1994 they change to just RG. The RG 87 L1A1 BLANK being an exception to this rule.

5.56mm

The blue plastic one is a live round with a plastic bullet. When fired the bullet separates at the case neck and the weapon functions in the normal way.

The plastic training ammunition is designed to give similar accuracy at 100 metres to the normal ball round. At short ranges they are potentially lethal.

These require less stringent range safety areas as the maximum range of this type of ammunition is typically about 750 metres and at that distance the residual energy is very small. Normal ball ammunition needs safety areas of 4,000 metres for 5.56mm.

Without having it to hand it is difficult to confirm whether your round 6 is an SS109. The steel insert is very small and would only have a weak magnetis attraction. Alternatively it may have a tungsten steel insert that will have virtually no attraction.

The SPARTEN training ammunition (Special Practice Ammunition for Realistic Training, Enfield) was intended for use at various ranges.

The Sparten Midi was designed for accurate use at 100 to 150 m range with a maximum range of 1,000m. It was designed to be frangible and give no richochets. You have one of these.

The Sparten Maxi was for use at 300m and had a maximum range of 2,500m. The bullets were of more normal form, but had different types of rear section to degrade their range.

The Midi bullets were mainly non ferrous metals (tin, copper, lead) bonded in various nylon/polymer compounds so you will not get a magnetic attraction.

Regards
TonyE