What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 cm IK identity

charley777

Hello....my first question...have been a member for a while but having so many queries its hard to know where to start. So :This case is headstamped as in the photo...5cm IK etc. Case mouth is 65mm. Case length is 100mm. Base diameter is 77mm. Can anyone tell me which gun(s) used it , and from which country (s) ? Cheers....Charley

Attachments

• BOCN query 002.jpg
    BOCN query 002.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 41
  • BOCN query 003.jpg
    BOCN query 003.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 109
Cut off !

My immediate reaction to your photo is that the case has been cut off shorter than it was originally.

Nice condition item though.

Interesting to note the primer date compared with the case manufacture date, this may well have been converted/refilled for saluting purposes ?

Last edited:
I've just looked this one up on the cartridge list that I have and there is a
50 X 333/R listed as a 5cm Ab.K L/35 - Rim diameter 77mm (Adapter Navy gun). Germany 1895. The case is bottle necked type.

I thought I was doing well until I got to the date!! You're is a bit later!

I'd agree with Chris RQ 42 on this, as the headstamp says 5cm and the measured is 65mm it's probably a cut down.

Nice clear headstamp on that one, thanks for showing it.

Dave.

Hmm...that's interesting. I got it from John Roks as a Norwegian infantry support gun case. I have a 50x333R case ....will have to take a closer look when i get home. Thanks gentlemen!

Charley, John may well be right, he's got a very good knowledge of such things, I just haven't got that case length on my list.
Take Crayford rounds for example, it would be easy to think they were cut down 2 pounders.......they were.....but for a specific purpose as opposed to someone going out and using a saw.
It could be this was something similar? An intentional re use of another type of case.
Dave.

Charley,

Your case is the correct length, not cut down. It is a separate loaded round with the case oversized to the projectile. John is correct in that it is an infantry support gun with the 'I K' indicating 'Infanterier Kanon' in Norwegian (think that's the right spelling - I'm not fluent in Norwegian!). Primer diameter should be 33mm. Hope that helps.

BD

5cm IK

Yes the primer is 33mm in diameter.
Thanks very much for everyone's help.
There is slightly more taper at this length on the 50x333R case that i have.
And the rim profile is quite different. Always happy to have the genuine article. Anyone know of a link to info on the gun?