What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 in USN projectile

William49

Ordnance approved
Hello everyone,
I found this photo from a 5 inch AAC projectile from the US-Navy. Because the low resolution of the photo I couldn't identify the exact name. The filling is Explosive D and the fuze is the MTF MK 61.The projectile has only a nose fuze. Maybe it is the MK 49 or also Mk 52 is possible?

Attachments

• 5 in SprGe MK 61 Mod 0.JPG
    5 in SprGe MK 61 Mod 0.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 59
Not sure about MK61 fuze, I think obsolete for this kind of shell.
Maybe Mk61 Mod 0 is for the shell designation.

See "NAVSEA SW030-AA-MMO-010 Navy gun ammunition" (available online) for more info.

I have that and other reference material.

Going by the DODIC of D319, the NSN of 1320-00-009-0356 and the code AAC, this is most likely a MK 61 MOD 0 5"/54 anti-aircraft common (AAC) projectile.

https://dodparts.com/nsn/1320-00-009-0356

The MK and MOD codes are for the projectile body only. The MK 61 MOD 0 projectile forms part of the MK 121 all up round (AUR), so includes the MK 342 nose fuze, MK 395 auxiliary detonating fuze (for the MK 342) and the MK 83 base fuze.

Note: For those who write books and technical reference material, most people, which includes US military reference material, don't notate the US Navy's mark and modification codes correctly. Officially, and as per its US military standard, it should be MK or MARK, and MOD or MODIFICATION in capitals, with a space between these and the numerics; such as the MK 61 MOD 0 above. It's also fuze, not fuse in most if not all cases.

I have these two INERT, US WW2 era, 5"/38 CAL projectiles. Not sure if helpful here? Took a photo of the stenciled markings in case of use. They definitely have a different profile they the photo. Would love to know what that one is too as I have never seen it either.

Jason

IMG_1985.jpgIMG_1986.jpgIMG_1987.jpg

Last edited: