What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50 cal

smle2009

Hi every one,
recieved some items through the post yesterday from Gspragge(thanks Gordon)
I wonder if any one can id the drill/dummmy 50 cal,it is a one piece steel contruction,turned on a lathe, has been drilled out approx 2" from the base/head,no markings at all.
The other id item is the links that came with other dummy 50 cals,as you can see they are not the usual BMG links and are marked M15A2 BRW.
Any help with with what they were used in and manufactures name,would be appreceated.
Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• PB070003.jpg
    PB070003.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 61
  • PB070002.jpg
    PB070002.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 52
  • PB070004.jpg
    PB070004.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 62
  • PB070005.jpg
    PB070005.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 52
I believe your links are for the coaxial machine gun used on tanks.

I thought that links were used in the M85 machinegun.

I also have some of them:
foyblabla.jpg

Last edited:
The rounds are probably manufacturer functioning dummies. The links are for the M85 mg and are made by Borg Warner, They also made enbloc clips for the M1 rifle, magazines for the M14 rifle, .30 and .50 links for browning mgs.

M85 Links

The M85 link has advantages when a push though link is required. The Singapore .50 MG uses them allowing the bolt to push the round directly into the chamber.

links

Hi every one,
recieved some items through the post yesterday from Gspragge(thanks Gordon)
I wonder if any one can id the drill/dummmy 50 cal,it is a one piece steel contruction,turned on a lathe, has been drilled out approx 2" from the base/head,no markings at all.
The other id item is the links that came with other dummy 50 cals,as you can see they are not the usual BMG links and are marked M15A2 BRW.
Any help with with what they were used in and manufactures name,would be appreceated.
Cheers
Tony
hi the links are from the co/ax tank machine gun,I found half a doz on an old range,and sent a letter to Mr P Labbett who wrote a column in guns review magazine.Who confirmed where they wre from.regards jonnyjamup.

The rounds are probably manufacturer functioning dummies. The links are for the M85 mg and are made by Borg Warner, They also made enbloc clips for the M1 rifle, magazines for the M14 rifle, .30 and .50 links for browning mgs.

I agree that is the most likely explanation. They could be from a limk maker and used to "proof" the links during manufacture for correct strength and spring tension.

Regards
TonyE