What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50 cal

smle2009

Hi everyone,
need some help with id on this 50 cal,manufacturer and country of origin?
Cheers
Tony

Odd headstamp !

With the "N" round the wrong way it looks a little "Russian", very interesting item and I have not seen a headstamp like that before.

Assuming it is a .50 BMG and not 12.7mm then it was probably made for an export contract, but 1957 is a little early for the Yugoslav factories to be undertaking commercial contracts.

Regards
TonyE

Hi TonyE,
100% a 50cal,photo shows,right to left NK .50", RA 42.50" & 12.7mm.
Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• PB290001.JPG
    PB290001.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 35
Apparently they had some US stuff in Yugoslavia after WW2. I think they had Thompsons and M1 Carbines as well as .50 Browning M2s.

Hi TonyE,
100% a 50cal,photo shows,right to left NK .50", RA 42.50" & 12.7mm.
Cheers
Tony

Sorry Tony, I was not doubting you but just covering all the bases!

Around the mid 1950s was a period of transition for the Yugoslavs, with a mixture of Combloc and German (including locally produced) weapons (K98k, MG42 etc.). I was there in 1962 and I saw both Russian and 7.92mm small arms.

They may well have had some .50 cal left over from the WW2 Partisan days as well, but do not know for sure.

Regards
TonyE

Most material has been given to them after WW II by the western powers to keep them out of Russian influence. Just think about all the WW II tanks that have been found in the Balkan War - for example.
Erik

inversed N is cyrillic I, so IK stands for Igman Konjic, small arms ammo factory in former Yugoslavia. cartridge is produced during 1957.
what is length of cartridge in mms because in Igman Konjic factory were producing 12,7x99 (.50 Browning) and 12,7x108 (DShK) bullets.

I have .pdf on millitary industry and weapon procurement policy in former yugoslavia that analyzes armament of former yugoslav peoples army. only it is on croatian language. i can send it to whom is interested but it need to be translated by babelfish.

Most material has been given to them after WW II by the western powers to keep them out of Russian influence. Just think about all the WW II tanks that have been found in the Balkan War - for example.
Erik

until early 60s armament of yugoslav peoples army was very 'colorful'. weapons used right after wwii was mostly german and italian captured in combat, and english and russian received as military help.

in some years later yugoslavia received more german weapons as war damage repatriation and also produced some german weapons under license also received as repatriation.

after yugoslavia refused to join eastern block under stalin more of american weapon comes to yugoslavia trough 'land and lease' agriement.

in sixties domestic production is being developed based on producing under license of soviet armament but with strong tendency of technical upgrading and innovating of weapons and ammo. but can not be by passed that yugoslavia developed and produced transsonic jet attack aircraft.