What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.50 caliber and above.

tigbrand

Premium Member
My larger caliber british hmg/at cartridges,these are not what i collect but i always buy them if they are cheap or a swap. The hardest to find are vickers cases/rounds in gc,all mine are all poor condition so if any one has any spare!

ammo_405.jpg

Here are a few of the British \"heavies\" from my collection. I have posted mainly pictures of the drill and dummy rounds as they are visually more interesting than the ball, AP and tracers etc.

First the .50 Brownings:

50Cal1.jpg

Regards
TonyE

Next some .50 Spotting rounds for the Wombat. These are all experimental rounds by Kynoch.

BAT1.jpg

TonyE

Next some .50 Vickers.
Drill D.Mark I
Drill D Mark IN
Semi AP F Mark Iz
AP W Mark Iz

Vickers2.jpg

TonyE

These are the .5 Vickers semi-rimmed version, the V/565 for export. It was used by a number of countries including Hungary and in the Italian Breda.

SemiRim.jpg

TonyE

Some .55 Boys drill rounds.
L. to R.
Homer Guard expedient made with red painter cast lead bullet and fired case
Drill D Mark I wartine (no platng)
Drill D Mark I South African manufacture
Inspectors U Mark I

Boys1.jpg

TonyE

Here are some .55 Boys drill rounds. Two wartime expedient D Mark Is (no plating) and a \"proper\" plated and fluted D Mark I.

Boys2.jpg

TonyE

Finally a couple of .55 Boys oddities.
The left hand round is a solid brass turned projectile, intended as a ballistic vehicle for the proposed W Mark 3 composite rigid AP which had a tungsten core mounted in a plastic sabot. It never entered service.

The other is the .55/.303 training round, intended to be used with a special barrel for use on ranges that had insufficient danger space to fire the full sized round. Although mentioned in the Boys manual it did not see service, as the recoil was considered insufficient to simulate the real thing.

Boys3.jpg

TonyE

Nice collection indeed,never realised there were so many variants.great pics too,Tony.

dont have many 50cal
These three in the link are all marked FNB 03 and the link are stamped ROS M9

DSC00010-ced94393d9585940d2d928ce715d8f24.jpg

And three more ,The drill round is marked K 73 L1A1
The two smaller ones marked L C 7 7

DSC00011.jpg